Wheres your civil Liberties now?

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
Elric of the void
Site Admin
Wheres your civil Liberties now?

Postby Elric of the void » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:35 am

I feel the term I told you so is a bit of an understatement.
When they confiscate all of your downloaded love get back to me on why your liberal president was a good idea.

http://www.wimp.com/newlaw/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10195 ... ncol;title

I don't think I need to rub this in at all, I feel it stings enough to know your political savior just kicked you in the nads.

And quite sadly no, this is not an april fools day prank, this story has been active for months, I merely found it this morning.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:56 am

The wimp vid was informative, but the cnet link was a bit vague.

The keyword here is "personal computers COULD be open to access under new copyright plan". I'm pretty sure there is a big movement against this, and has been for many years now.

I'm not worried at all...the government can't see your files if they aren't accessible by the Internet. I keep most of my downloaded goods on a server that isn't connected to my network, as well as external drives.
Gaming:

Workstation:

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:04 pm

I never realized it was my civil liberty to steal movies and such using the internet.

Whats most likely is that there will have to be probal cause to search your computer as there is with your car when you get pulled over. I dont believe for a second that they will just start searching your shit whenever they want.
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:34 pm

the thing O signed asbout stem cell research didnt really affect anything...it cemented into law what was already being done. these religious whackjacks are against embryonic stem cells b/c they think it's a form of abortion. modern christianity never really came out against standard stem cell research, and the thing Obama signed doesnt affect embryonic stem cell. it was a signature to show purpose, which did nothing and didnt even show a real purpose...

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:21 pm

harness, sorry to say that you are mostly wrong. Embryonic stem cell research is NOT the way to go. This is no longer based solely on morals anymore. There has been no proof that embryonic stem cells will work. They only speculate that they can, test them, create tumors in whatever they inject them in and in turn fail.

Adult stem cells on the other hand have been working very well for us for a very long time. First example: bone marrow transplant. provided they find a match, this has been working just fine ever since they started. Adult stem cells have even cured paralysis, made a guy able to talk after he had a stroke by restoring dead brain matter, and even helped with diabetes. they can take skin cells and practically turn them into pluripotent cells (embryonic stem cells)

How can you possibly say that promoting embryonic stem cell research is saving lives when it has done nothing of the sort? you want to save lives, get attention to adult stem cells. You never see anything in the media even though it is helping people all the time. Its not covered because then researches and many other people would lose money if we started working primarily on adult stem cells

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:23 pm

and by the way, the government doesn't need a warrant to sniff packets or tap phone lines. they do it. The thing is they aren't supposed to keep the information they find if it is not threatening to the nation. Too bad they don't throw everything out like they are supposed to

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Last edited by Harness on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Gaming:

Workstation:

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:51 pm

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:21 am

Tanis Half Elf
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Tanis Half Elf » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:40 am

When i see something political on the forum I just skip right over it.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:36 am

Well the thing about us is that...while we might get into deep political discussion on the forum, we don't carry any of it over to Vent.
Gaming:

Workstation:

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:12 pm

or try not to. it just gets in a mess when we try to talk about it in vent. i mean look at our discussions about the warhammer changes. that just gets crazy

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Ya even though I have a more hostile tone in this thread I would still have buttsecks with Elric if paid.

Being one of the more outspoken people in the political disscussions I still only heard anything political spoken in vent once and it ended quickly.

Theres nothing wrong with political talk in any forum. If you dont enjoy it the dont read it. Its not like I would start bashing Elric or Jif as a person or anything. Bacon on the other hand....... lol

Return to “General Discussion”