Random tools thread

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
Fist of the eskimo
Canadian Ambassador
Random tools thread

Postby Fist of the eskimo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:36 pm

This is the exact kit I had stolen out of my truck

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDet ... Combo+Kits

my replacements are these

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDet ... ess+System

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDet ... SC%3a+Saws

one jobsite radio

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDet ... %3A+Radios

As for hand tools (the ones worth noting)

Pipe wrenches (Ridgid)
2 -14" (AL)
1 - 18" (AL)
2-24" (1 cast 1 aluminum)

Ridgid 1/4 - 1 1/8 copper Cutters

Ridgid Telescoping Basin Wrench

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 pm

Yay!

Let me preface this post by saying that I do a lot of carpentry (rough and finish), plus electrical work....so I've built up a pretty hefty collection over the years.

Bosch CS20 Circular saw:

This is by far the best circular saw I've ever owned. It has a direct-connect feature that allows you use an extension cord as a power source so that if you cut the cord, it is easily replaceable. No more electrical tape!

The blade in my circular saw:

This is one quality framing blade! Freud is known for their quality table saw blades...and their circular blades are no exception!!!!

Delta 10" 1-1/2 HP Induction Table Saw w/ 30" T2 Fence:

Used it to make cabinets. Powerful motherfucker!

Ridgid 10" compound mitre saw:

Mine looks way more simpler than the one in the pic, because it's about 9 years old...but I didn't feel like taking a pic of it.

Porter Cable FC350A clipped head framer:

I've had this gun for 9 years now and it still works perfectly.

PC FN250B finish nailer:

I like this finish nailer because of its small size, yet it shoots up to 2-1/2" finish nails. Had it for 5 years I think...no problems.

Campbell Hausfeld 4 gallon, 1.5 amp pancake compressor:

I couldn't find a pic online, so I went and took one. This is my portable compressor for doing light framing and finish work. I've had this for about 9 years. I almost sold it about 5 years ago, but I'm glad I didn't. You'll understand why shortly.

PC C3151 Air Compressor:

For heavy framing only...or if I have a fucking 20 Amp outlet at my disposal. If I run it on a 15 amp circuit, it'll trip it. So that's why I'm glad I kept the pancake compressor...

DeWalt 14.4 cordless drill:

This drill just won't die. I've use it so many goddamn times and went through countless batteries, yet it still works fine. I've done a lot of drywall hanging with it.

Milwaukee 10 Amp Sawzall (Recip. Saw):

Gets shit done!

Estwing 28oz framing hammer:

Love it.

The amazing red toolbox of goodies:

Yeah too much shit to show in one pic. All of my electrical and data/voice tools. Needle nose pliers, lineman's pliers, wire strippers, crimpers, wire nuts, screwdrivers, utility blades, elec tape, continuity tester, circuit breaker identifier, level, fish tape, etc etc....

I'm sure I forgot something, so I'll post it when I think of it. I'll also get some pics up of shit I've built, too.
Gaming:

Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:04 am

i dont really have my own tools, besides misc hand tools, cause my dad has probably $15k worth of power tools and specialty tools.
notables...
electric dewalt sawzall which we beat the shit out of, , , brand new , 3 for cutting bow thruster tube holes, nice dewalt miter saw.

also got some random brand power washer (we had 2 but both broke so he salvaged them together for 1 good one), a small like 5 gallon air compressor like the one foxxy posted and also a 25ish gallon 2.5hp job

he bought the fein angle driver and claims it and the multitool are the best tools he's ever purchased. the multi tool is fucking awesome and i used the 6" angle grinder on the hull of a 32' motor yacht and it was much nicer than the 20 year old snap-on 10 or 12" grinder we normally use.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:28 am

Gaming:

Workstation:

Tanis Half Elf
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Tanis Half Elf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:40 am

Am I in another dimension? I never thought the stolen eye would be
talking about power tools. I have used a sawzall once....

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:11 am

sawzall is the most badass fucking tool on the planet. ive used em to cut holes in boat hulls, remove stringers in engine rooms (heavvvvy shit- thick layers of fiberglass often with hard wood cores), and cut 4x4 posts for a deck.

the fein multitool can take the boot stripe off a fiberglass boat without damaging the fiberglass (imagine using a powertool to take a sticker off your car without leaving a scratch in the metal). we also use it to remove silicone, urethane, etc sealers and adhesives. urethane is fucking crazy strong. it can actually bond to fiberglass and if you try to pry the objects apart can actually separate layers of fiberglass (which also bond together). the multitool just destroys it like it wasnt ever there.

fein power tools might be heavier than the old snap-ons my dad has

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:50 am

Gaming:

Workstation:

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:17 pm

OMG I could write a novel on my tool box. Last evualted I was somewhere around 30k in tools. Ill post just a couple of things I have that could be used by most anyone.

Fluke DVOM (digital volt/ohm meter)
Always try and get one thats automatic scale selecting. Just makes everything easier. This isnt the exact one I have but its close enough. If you want a meter that plots waveforms then dont waist your money on a cheaper meter. Go out and get a high speed graphing meter and not some ploting DVOM.

These really helps in circuit testing.

Computer safe power/ground tester

For those of you with an air compressor:
IR2131t- best air gun on the market! The first tool any mechanic must have.

Snap on air hammer. Ohh baby get ready to make some noise.

Die grinder. Cuts metal or anything else you can think of.

Milwaukee Lion nut driver. nice little tool I use for dash work or anything low torque. Highley recommend this tool for anyone that builds/repairs things with small screws/bolts.

OMG im just gonna stop for now. Maybe I should take my camera into work with my and get some pics of what I have there. I seriously could go on for hours.
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:53 pm

we got a ton of snap-on air guns but we dont use em much. my dad used to have a boat repair/retail shop with my uncle and took half the tools when they parted ways so hes got a ton of air shit we dont use much anymore.

i gave him a fluke mulitmeter a few years ago, it's clutch. he doesnt normally buy cheap tools but he never replaced his good meter when it broke years and years ago and was using cheap ones until theyd literally fall apart.

one of his most used tools is a sturdy 4" dewalt angle grinder. it's nothing too fancy but he's got a diamond wheel for it and it cuts through everything. we use it like a high speed cutting wheel

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:32 pm

Alright, time to post some shit I've built.

First up is a set of cabinets that I built for my house. Let me tell you...laminate is a pain in the ass to work with! I would use natural wood any day over laminate. The problem with MDF is it's very porous on the edges, so it soaks up the contact adhesive...meaning I had to apply about 3 coats to get the correct outcome.

To top it all off, I was using a Rotozip w/ a laminate cutter attachment and it sucked donkey nuts. I wish I would have used an actual router with a laminate edging bit. But whatever, the cabinets turned out really nice.

Sides and bottoms are 3/4" MDF and back panels are 1/2" MDF. All edges and doors are laminated with "ginger root maple" Formica. The back panel is dado'ed into the two side panels.

Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Nice work man. I didn't realize we had all these woodworkers. I've built a couple of workbenches, framed a few windows in the garage, built some bookshelves, etc. I am building a 10' x 16' shed now. I framed out the walls and rafters in the fall and have them all in the garage. Getting a concrete slab poured soon and will stand it all up and roof it, put siding up, etc.

Oh, what kind of projector are you using? I have a 92" Elitescreen grey screen and a Optoma HD70. That's what you guys would always hear on vent, my wife watching TV on the 92" screen/home theater.

Tanis Half Elf
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Tanis Half Elf » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:24 pm

Nice work, I'm impressed.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:04 am

Gaming:

Workstation:

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:11 pm

This is my favorite pic from working on cars. Its everything under the hood of a GM 6 cylinder engine from the late 90's.... on the ground. You wuold actually be looking at it when it rests in the engine compartment as it would be if you were sitting behind the wheel.

I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Return to “General Discussion”