HDD Reference Thread

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:58 am

That's a decent guide. I basically did the same thing but with ImgBurn...there was no command line stuff involved.
Didn't you get the student version, too?

BTW, my SSD is now fully updated with the newest firmware that included TRIM. I'm getting all my programs loaded now...hopefully I'll have Aion up by tonight.
Gaming:

Workstation:

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Now for some Windows 7 questions...

1. How to I get rid of this goddamned list over my open programs? Shit is driving me mad.

2. How do I change that god-awful taskbar color. No, I'm not using Aero...don't even ask.
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Well now I have to ask, why no aero?

As for the list, you should be able to have those apps show one icon on your bar, and then show the list when you hover over it. Are you trying to get rid of the functionality? or make them stack?

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:06 pm

I'm trying to get rid of the functionality pictured. I just want it to be like XP/Vista where the taskbar has my currently opened programs on it with no gay-ass list when I hover over them.

Why no Aero? Because I don't need it. I run completely stripped down versions of Windows, and I'm currently in the process of stripping this one down.
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:10 pm

If you run no aero though, and alt-tab out of the game, it takes longer does it not? It has to switch from 3d to 2d, that was my experience in Vista at least, and a compelling reason to run Aero.

You're crazy for trying to change Win7 though, it's a great feature, stop living in the past! Especially when the programs support it, like RDP. If I have 6 RDP sessions open, and hover over the RDP icon, mit shows me all 6 of my screens as small graphics, and then if I move over each one, mit shows me a full screen version of it, but keeps that overlay up until I click the one I want. It's so much better, same thing works for IE windows and tabs. So, I have no idea how to nerf Win7 down to be gimped, because it's dumb!

Tanis Half Elf
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Tanis Half Elf » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:54 pm

I agree with tex here, I love using Aero.
I am getting Windows7 when I have time to mess around with it. Or when I am not feeling lazy.

I am only familiar with the release client, and I see 2 features in your screen shot that have changed. That menu only comes up in the release client when you right click on the toobar icon associating with that program, and when you hovered over it, there would be a preview of that window(like vista). I liked the menu when r-clicking on it, but I can see how it may be annoying when hovering over it.

Also, another thing hopefully i can change that was in the Release Client is, there weren't really toolbar windows in the toolbar. There was just a little icon of the program on the tool bar. I liked this because it was kind of inconspicuous and took up very little space.
Last edited by Tanis Half Elf on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm actually running a stripped down version of Aero now...the only thing on being the feature where I can change the color of the taskbar and windows.

Now if I could just turn off the preview shit on the taskbar I'd be content...for now.
Gaming:

Workstation:

bluetenken
Got Fofum

Postby bluetenken » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Western Digital 300GB Velociraptor 10000 RPM 16MB Cache

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:25 am

--------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
--------------------------------------------------

Sequential Read : 66.746 MB/s
Sequential Write : 64.877 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 31.358 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 43.309 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 0.433 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 1.555 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB
Date : 2009/10/24 10:24:07

Interestingly, this is with Aion running in the background. My drive is super ancient, 5+ years, so I am surprised it's not way worse.

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:57 pm

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:43 pm

/agree w/ Chips.

I remember using Ubuntu before Vista was even out and they had the Aero 3D windows thing where you can scroll through windows in 3d.
Gaming:

Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:26 am

eh you guys are both retarded. quad core CPUs with 4-8GB ram. you will never. ever. notice the difference. of running a nerfed version of W7. this isnt trying to put XP on a 400mhz celly with 128MB ram...

the preview shit is awesome. i dont car eif linux has had it for 20 years, linux is almost worthless when you game and replicate your work environment. linux has had that 3d cube desktop bullshit for a couple years, too, but no one who runs real applications gave a shit.

there always services you can tweak in windows or any OS when you know exactly what it will be used for, but with quad core CPUs and more RAM than you have programs to use it, it doesnt matter. at all.

and i didnt upgrade to XP for half a year b/c no one new how to tweak it to remove Luna and a bunch of other crap that slowed it down when playing CS 1.x. runnign tweaked versions of XP let us get the same FPS as 2000 but with most of the cool features of XP. things have changed.

Aero is not luna, it doesnt take up hardly any CPU cycles since it's ran by the GXF card, and it gets switched off everytime u load a game even if it's not fullscreen. i dont see the downside

i do agree with foxxy about the quicklaunch, though. i like having programs on their, but it doesnt handle shortcuts well at all. can put steam games on there, nor URLs, nor any document shortcut as it always adds the associated exe with a menu option for the shortcut. fucking stupid. i'm sure a reg fix will come soon. people have been tearing w7 apart for almost a year now (i think this new shortcut taskbar method was added in RC1 cause im pretty sure beta 1 did not behanve the same).
it's not just quicktray, tho. it does the same thing in the top of the start menu.

also you cant create quicklaunch or top of start menu shortcuts for items or programs installed over a network, which is reallllllllly annoying.

bottom line, if you dont like Aero, youre a fucking jewbag that hates America. go fuck yourself commie!

yeas i drank amnd im a rappa ternt sanga

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:46 am

yeah can bring back the quicklaunch thing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/88 ... sable.html

I was never a fan of it personally

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:49 am

The only thing I ever had in quicklaunch was the Cmd Prompt....because I use it a lot.

Oh, and I found out how to disable the preview thing when you mouse over the taskbar.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/1 ... list-view/
Gaming:

Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Return to “General Discussion”