neat new gadget

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
Sonic
Site Admin

Postby Sonic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:24 pm

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Gaming:

Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:33 pm

eh netbooks = internet notebook. it's only designed for web browsing, document creation, and some can do light gaming.

they're also phenomenal dummy terminals/ thin clients.

i use mine @ work for outlook, our deployment console, MMC, and rdp'ing into servers/my workstation when im out of the office or across campus. or...everything i could ever need it to do.

Ion-based Atom netbooks can play some modern games as well since they have Geforce 9300 or 9400M gfx and the rez is small.

netbooks have a small physical screen but the rez is very nice @ 1024x600 or 1366x576 or w/e 16:9 is. you can see standard 1024x768 formatted websites without scrolling horizontally.

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:35 pm

id agree with both foxx and tim, technically, both are linux, but for anything developer, id rather use mac os to most linux devs, just because of the simplicity of the software, the gui, and integration of the two.
honestly, there isnt a piece of software out there that can compare, when it comes to anything programming, to Apple's X-Code, and ive used most of the environments out there.

however, there is a certain flair to using some straight unix os.

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Postulio
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Postulio » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:12 pm

The biggest joke I have ever heard! If you couldn't win the game early on with the macbook air what makes you think you will win now? (im yelling at Macintosh)

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Sorry guys I was at class. What did I miss? oh the usual mac bashing? figures...

I don't even feel like replying to all this rambling. The only thing i'm disappointed with is that there is no camera on it.

Posty to cover your original three things:

1. Bullshit you can do more with a netbook. One thing you may be able to do is flash (which apple does need to do). Other than that, name another thing (besides video chat, flash, and multitasking) that the iPad couldn't do. Netbooks are extremely slow PC's. They use the same OS which is why they are so rickety and slow. Tablets needed a new OS

2. 64 gigs of space is a lot for something that portable. And you DON'T have to pay $30 a month for internet. If you want 3G then yeah you do but i wouldn't give a shit if I could only use wifi. Know how much it is to put a netbook on 3G (for at&suck) at least? $60. nuff said.

3. Nothing new to the market? The iPhone OS IS new to the tablet market and I think it is a LOT better than running linux or windows 7 on a touchscreen tablet.

As for those other devices proving that apple has brought nothing new to the tablet market? I believe my previous statement applies here as well. The HP tablet was a joke at the CES. It was pitiful. And sorry never heard of the other two although the 2nd one does look pretty cool, but it has a stylus. There goes multitouch!

As far as that article about "tablet sentencing laptops to death" or whatever, that article shows all the good things about the tablet so therefore it actually hurts your argument. Also the tablet is not meant to replace phones or laptops. It is an in between for people who might own a phone but not a notebook/media device and vice versa. Apple never said that they wanted notebooks to die. That is a stupid claim

ok. bracing for impact!

Postulio
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Postulio » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:42 pm

Lets get one thing straight: The Ipad is NOT a netbook, laptop or a viable computer. It is, and only will be, and Ebook. Ask Jif about his netbook and what he does with it (I highly highly doubt an Ipad can do close to that amount)

64 gigs for 800 bucks are you fucking kidding me? The microsoft courier is already advertising 800 gigs of space.

The Iphone is nothing new. I would also much rather have a fully functional and versatile OS for a computer than a half baked one.

Steve Jobs claimed this would take the competition away from netbooks which I feel is BS. Also the whole article does knock the fact that it does lack in the end run! Also the screen is horrible and I have a lot more faith in Microsoft now when its evident they can produce something like the Zune HD which has the same resolution of a screen as the Ipad EXCEPT I can take the Zune HD in my pocket with me.

The only thing to understand from the Ipad is that touchscreens are moving in. There will be a fully functional touchscreen notebook by the end of this year, and I believe the Archos 9 is actually out. I am excited when Mac actually puts out a touchbook that actually is a computer and not something that is just out right gimped

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:51 pm

sorry posty i can't argue with people who totally ignore viable questions in an argument.

good day to you sir

Postulio
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Postulio » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12 pm

What viable questions?!?! This is nothing new to the market! Its a giant Iphone! Name one thing (other than talking on the phone and putting it in your pocket) that you can do on the Ipad that you cant do on the Iphone? Its just like the Macbook Air! Nothing new was brought to the table!

Postulio
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Postulio » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 pm

I would just take a gander at those. Yes its a new apple product. No its nothing new.

Fist of the eskimo
Canadian Ambassador

Postby Fist of the eskimo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:35 pm

So i got home and didn't want to read through 2 pages of text and banter, I'll post this as my pictoral form of what I think about it

Btw, if it doesn't do anything on the left side - how does it count as a pc, and not an oversized iphone?

hehe, this one's good too

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:39 pm

BLOODY HELL
i regret starting this thread.

lets end it here:
it is an oversized ipod touch. thats the point. all its supposed to be for is use in media, namely: watching movies; listening to music; surfing the web casually; reading books, magazines and newspapers; etc. nothing else. ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A BLOODY COMPUTER. thats what your computer is for.
i agree with jif: its a niche product. the only people that will buy it are those that find it useful or are the stupid apple fuckers that buy anything apple makes.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:04 am

YAY
Gaming:

Workstation:

Fist of the eskimo
Canadian Ambassador

Postby Fist of the eskimo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:07 am

Did I win?

Return to “General Discussion”