New iPhone leaked

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
TexRob
Got Allfum
New iPhone leaked

Postby TexRob » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 am

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/appl ... -revealed/

Looks nice. Matte black back, looks to be an anti glare screen maybe, front facing camera (finally a damn cell phone with video chat?), bigger battery, looks like it says 80gb on the back? Doesn't look to be reinventing the wheel, but looks nice. I don't love the buttons on the current iPhone, so the stolen buttons from similar devices are a plus I think.

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 am

we shall see, evidently apple said it was a prototype, so it might not be whats actually coming out.

it does look pretty dang spiffy, though, even if its only hardware changes.

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Well, I hope it's a prototype, something about that oddball gap on the lower left side seems out of place. Maybe just because it was a pre-production unit, or perhaps because they want the pre-production units to be able to be opened to change out internals as needed or something.

Doesn't look like it's going to make me wish I hadn't bought my 3GS, but definitely looks like it will be nice. They are doing a good job of making the unit two revisions newer very enticing, but gen to gen doesn't make you regret buying the one you have. Like, if I had a 3G, I'd be getting this for sure, but having a 3GS, I'll wait until the rev after this.

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:06 pm

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:21 pm

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 pm

the overall phone coverage isnt terrible, but anywhere not near anything fades out rapidly. (my house being included in that)
the 3g coverage is the epitome of awful. it covers about 2 miles around every big city and about nowhere else.
exaggeration, of course, but not by much.

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:17 pm

will definitely be getting the newest phone. my 3G plan is almost up :D

and yeah coverage is spotty at best and there is only 3G in Grand Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Detroit, and apparently Traverse City now. Either way, I'm getting this

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:36 pm

t-mo has better 3g coverage in south jersey than at&t and t-mo is 2/3 the price.

i absolutely love the new iphone design. i didnt dislike the current designs but i looooove the new one. tho it almost looks like they ripped off HTC:

i like apple's better but it's not like them to release something that looks like another upcoming/new product even if they came up with the design 1st.

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 am

I think with handsets, there is some good competition (like Apple or not, no denying they didn't drive this competition). You can only do so much with such a small form factor like a cell phone. They can't just do something wacky and get away with it, because usability and size is so much of the equation. I think their choice of surfaces and whatnot are original/nice, I already know what the back is going to feel like, it's that almost soft, non marring stuff I think. Basically it still looks like an iPhone, but they took some of their competitors good ideas, definitely a lot of people have drawn that HTC Hero conclusion as well. I definitely prefer the round buttons. It's hard to fumble for the current rocker style button, feels to much like the silent switch IMHO.

That sucks about 3G in MI. I live in a little crappy town on the outskirts of Raleigh, and get fine 3G here. Have had the same experience in Richmond, VA, Houston, TX, and Austin, TX as well. Can't speak of 3G much outside of those areas, but had no problems with my EDGE based original iPhone.

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:56 am

Kind of off topic, but how is the rest of MI doing compared to Detroit? Just saw this. I knew it was bad, but some of the stats are crazy, 8 grocery stores in Detroit, 400 liquor stores... My point is, can't imagine a lot of spending on expanding 3G coverage is going on in MI.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/22/vide ... m-the-air/

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:10 am

MI is terrible...why do you think I moved?

That Dateline special was really well done. I saw most of it the other night and was really impressed by how they pulled it off. Fun fact: Chris Hansen went to the same high school as me.
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Gaming:

Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Sonic
Site Admin

Postby Sonic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:20 pm

I live in Ann Arbor which is about an hour from Detroit. This place is quite nice, solid phone coverage. Good liquor to grocery store balance. However you can not pay me to drive an hour to my east. Detroit has some damn scary shit.

Return to “General Discussion”