This Java Nonsense

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
Harness
Da Bumble

This Java Nonsense

Postby Harness » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:41 pm

This talk about Oracle products creating a security risk on your computer has got my brain hurting.

Can someone tell me if I should do anything about this in work and at home?
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Re: This Java Nonsense

Postby Darkfoxx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 pm

News to me. You should be fine unless the stuff you have is outdated (i.e. never updated).
Gaming:
Workstation:

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 pm

From what I understand, the problem is present now and not patched properly. I don't believe that simply updating your system, as of today, will lower the risk.

This seems like a pretty god article about the whole thing:
http://www.techweb.com/news/240146598/java-security-warnings-cut-through-the-confusion.html
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Harness wrote:From what I understand, the problem is present now and not patched properly. I don't believe that simply updating your system, as of today, will lower the risk.

http://www.techweb.com/news/240146598/java-security-warnings-cut-through-the-confusion.html

go to java.com and hit the big DOWNLOAD button.

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Harness wrote:From what I understand, the problem is present now and not patched properly. I don't believe that simply updating your system, as of today, will lower the risk.

this is correct. my suggestion, after doing research and tests of my own, comes to this: dont use java if you dont need it.
i experienced issues with security holes in java years ago, but those were rarely exploited and very difficult to use, but ive heard about the more recent shenanigans as well.
the runtime environment shouldnt cause any issues if you have that installed, but i would greatly recommend disabling java embeds in browser use.
coming from a programmer, java has been a mess ever since oracle took over, but even when it was being run by sun, it was still not a great language...

let it be known, however, that the holes in java have nothing to do with javascript, which is a completely different programming language that just happens to share the same name. ish. i do, however, recommend looking through and disabling any browser features that you dont need, just in case. if you never use it, turn it off, then if you do need to use it, you can turn it back on for the instance.

Return to “General Discussion”