New PC build/upgrade

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Re: New PC build/upgrade

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:54 pm

Ehhhh... with the ram, it really makes no difference whatsoever as to whether you pick your cas latency or the overall bandwidth, in the bigger scheme of things you aren't ever going to come to a point where you are going to be taking advantage of either value, you won't ever be using the minimum latency or the maximum speed, unless you really push the rig with something. Much of the time the bottleneck is elsewhere. That's kinda the controversy right now with DDR4: it's a higher bandwidth since it has more contact points, but it's a higher latency as well, effectively nulling out the improvement since they didn't do anything to help it in the chipset. You will see performance increases in the benchmarks, sure, but who the hell ever uses their ram like a benchmark does?
That being said, with ram, for me at least, the lower latency makes more sense for everyday use than a higher speed. That will also drop your voltage a little bit, which means it's less likely for something stupid to happen electrically.
Also also, I have G.Skill kit currently, but I think, unless you are really dead set on those sticks, I would find a corsair kit. I like their new kits and the reliability a bit better. G.skill is nice if you have any intention to do any modification work, but I still think corsair is more reliable.
Also also also, is there a reason you would need 16gb? Bumping down to 8gb would let you get a better cpu, and I'm not sure you'd ever use the extra 8gb...

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:31 am

Gaming:

Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:49 am

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:08 am

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks man, that was quite a bit of information. All good stuff. :thumbsup:

The HSF I linked is basically the same one I've had for years. I'm actually curious to see if they make newer brackets for it. I may just go that route... (Edit: Doesn't look like it)

Gonna keep researching though. seems to be the way to go. They offer free mounting kit upgrades for newer sockets. For a bit cheaper I can get by Coolermaster, which is well respected on Tom's HW.

I think I'll go with the i5-4690K and the mobo I linked for sure. And most likely 16GBs of RAM because why not.
Gaming:

Workstation:

Fist of the eskimo
Canadian Ambassador

Postby Fist of the eskimo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:31 pm

And I'm just sitting here buying fencing for cows in the spring.

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:39 am

I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:07 pm

Dat new build doe!

Final parts are in the first post of this thread. My only issue so far is with the right angle SATA ports on this mobo. Who thought that was a good idea? Maybe if I had a full ATX case it wouldn't be so bad, but there's so little clearance between the ports and the drive bays right now that's it's very tricky to plug SATA cables in.

Some pics:

The HSF was a tight fit in an Antec 900. I'll be getting a new case as soon as I can afford it. Shit is packed in there tight, yo!

Currently OC'd to 4.0GHz. :shotty:

Fun fact: I still had 1 PATA hard drive in use on my old mobo :lol:
Gaming:

Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:42 am

FINALLY YESSSSSSSSSS

Return to “General Discussion”