Fantasy Football League Discussion

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
User avatar
Darkfoxx
Site Admin
Posts: 9640
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Darkfoxx » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:28 pm

Harness wrote:2- keepers count as your X round pick. X is the first draft round that a player is keepable, per #1. What?

I think he's saying that keepers would count as your 4th round pick or w/e, not as the last round as it is now.
Gaming:
Image
Workstation:
Image

Sonic
Site Admin
Posts: 628
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Sonic » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:53 pm

Only thing I wouldn't mind changing is allowing the same keeper to be used in multiple years.

Also, a rule change I would LOVE to see.

Defense should get 2 points for causing a turn-over on downs. Just like they get 2 points for every other kind of turnover.

User avatar
Darkfoxx
Site Admin
Posts: 9640
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Darkfoxx » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:15 pm

Sonic wrote:Defense should get 2 points for causing a turn-over on downs. Just like they get 2 points for every other kind of turnover.

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to see if Yahoo even has that as an option. I've never heard of a league tracking that before.

EDIT: "4th Down Stops" is a trackable stat. Neat!
Gaming:
Image
Workstation:
Image

User avatar
Bacon
People Know Me
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:40 pm

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Bacon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:49 pm

i don't understand keepers...

User avatar
Darkfoxx
Site Admin
Posts: 9640
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Darkfoxx » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Bacon wrote:i don't understand keepers...

So if you played this year (2014), you'd be able to pick a "keeper" player that you drafted in the 4th round or later. This player will then play on your team for the 2015 season. In our league, the keeper you choose is automatically drafted in the last round of our draft. This player cannot be a keeper from the previous year (2013).

Obviously if you didn't play this year then you'd have no keeper.
Gaming:
Image
Workstation:
Image

User avatar
Bacon
People Know Me
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:40 pm

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Bacon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:25 am

what if someone takes your keeper?

User avatar
Darkfoxx
Site Admin
Posts: 9640
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:49 am

Bacon wrote:what if someone takes your keeper?

What do you mean? No one can take your keeper if he's on your roster.

The player you keep would need to be on your roster before the season ends.
Gaming:
Image
Workstation:
Image

User avatar
Harness
Da Bumble
Posts: 2069
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:13 pm

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Harness » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:
Bacon wrote:i don't understand keepers...

So if you played this year (2014), you'd be able to pick a "keeper" player that you drafted in the 4th round or later. This player will then play on your team for the 2015 season. In our league, the keeper you choose is automatically drafted in the last round of our draft. This player cannot be a keeper from the previous year (2013).

Obviously if you didn't play this year then you'd have no keeper.



*EDIT* ... you'd be able to pick a player that you, or anyone else, drafted in the 4th round or later.
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

User avatar
Darkfoxx
Site Admin
Posts: 9640
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:41 pm

Harness wrote:*EDIT* ... you'd be able to pick a player that you, or anyone else, drafted in the 4th round or later.

Yes, forgot to add that. And obviously any undrafted players that you picked up in the free agency.
Gaming:
Image
Workstation:
Image

User avatar
Harness
Da Bumble
Posts: 2069
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:13 pm

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Harness » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Sonic wrote:Only thing I wouldn't mind changing is allowing the same keeper to be used in multiple years.

Also, a rule change I would LOVE to see.

Defense should get 2 points for causing a turn-over on downs. Just like they get 2 points for every other kind of turnover.



For me personally, I've always looked at keeper players as a nice little bonus to your roster if you had the forethought to plan in advance the previous year. These players should not be the elite players from the year before unless they had, more or less, a break out year.

I love the defensive idea but be careful. Foxx, you had already mentioned two defensive scoring upgrades to me earlier. Don't make team defense the end all decider to every game.
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

User avatar
Darkfoxx
Site Admin
Posts: 9640
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:57 pm

Harness wrote:I love the defensive idea but be careful. Foxx, you had already mentioned two defensive scoring upgrades to me earlier. Don't make team defense the end all decider to every game.

Yeah, I'm not making any changes yet. I'll take all suggestions into consideration and balance accordingly.
Gaming:
Image
Workstation:
Image

User avatar
Jif
Jimmy Jams
Posts: 6894
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:49 am

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Jif » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:14 pm

I originally had a lengthy defense and in-depth explanation of the benefits of the rules i proposed. I even tweaked them a little to hopefully more-satisfy bumbles. However i then came across a system I think is even better for how relaxed our league is in a reddit thread:
Common rules are that you can keep <X> number of players, where <X> is a predetermined amount. Usually, somewhere between 1 and 4, and I think that 2 is the most common.

To keep them, it costs the round that they were drafted in. If you drafted Jamaal Charles in the first this year, and want to keep him for next year, it costs you a first round pick. If you drafted Aaron Rodgers in the fifth, then it costs a fifth round pick. If the player was undrafted, then it costs the last pick you have available... so, for OBJ, which went undrafted in my league, it's worth an 18th round pick (which makes him a bargain).


it's VERY simple and requires next to no research as every single player is keeper-eligible. Everything is completely straight forward.

I have 1 main problem with the current keeper rules: there is absolutely no cost associated to our keepers. This means if keeper eligibility is being drafted in round 4 or later then next year everyone gets a de facto free round 4+ pick (because they count as last round). There's absolutely no strategy to that. They don't cost anything to keep. A keeper is only worth something if you have to give something up to obtain him. Forcing him to be the draft pick from last year means if you find a diamond in the rough in round 8 then you get him next year in round 8, which is a bargain. If you hit a home run on an undrafted FA you get rewarded by being able to keep him as your last round pick. You found him and drafted him before anyone else, so you get the prize in the bottom of the box. Or we can adjust UFA to count as 5th or 10th or 12th or whatever else.

User avatar
Jif
Jimmy Jams
Posts: 6894
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:49 am

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Jif » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Also want to point out that if bacon takes over for the DUMP(heap) he inherits his team and can choose who to keep. When you change ownership of a team he will see the team's history and should be able to see previous drafts for his player's eligibility or keeper round. At least thats how ive understood it. We've had plenty of replaced managers in my other leagues, which are/were all keeper leagues. it never posed any issues.

User avatar
Bacon
People Know Me
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:40 pm

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Bacon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:41 pm

ok i think i understand

User avatar
Harness
Da Bumble
Posts: 2069
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:13 pm

Re: Fantasy Football League Discussion

Postby Harness » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:49 pm

Jif wrote:I originally had a lengthy defense and in-depth explanation of the benefits of the rules i proposed. I even tweaked them a little to hopefully more-satisfy bumbles. However i then came across a system I think is even better for how relaxed our league is in a reddit thread:
Common rules are that you can keep <X> number of players, where <X> is a predetermined amount. Usually, somewhere between 1 and 4, and I think that 2 is the most common.

To keep them, it costs the round that they were drafted in. If you drafted Jamaal Charles in the first this year, and want to keep him for next year, it costs you a first round pick. If you drafted Aaron Rodgers in the fifth, then it costs a fifth round pick. If the player was undrafted, then it costs the last pick you have available... so, for OBJ, which went undrafted in my league, it's worth an 18th round pick (which makes him a bargain).


it's VERY simple and requires next to no research as every single player is keeper-eligible. Everything is completely straight forward.

I have 1 main problem with the current keeper rules: there is absolutely no cost associated to our keepers. This means if keeper eligibility is being drafted in round 4 or later then next year everyone gets a de facto free round 4+ pick (because they count as last round). There's absolutely no strategy to that. They don't cost anything to keep. A keeper is only worth something if you have to give something up to obtain him. Forcing him to be the draft pick from last year means if you find a diamond in the rough in round 8 then you get him next year in round 8, which is a bargain. If you hit a home run on an undrafted FA you get rewarded by being able to keep him as your last round pick. You found him and drafted him before anyone else, so you get the prize in the bottom of the box. Or we can adjust UFA to count as 5th or 10th or 12th or whatever else.



If there was a rule change, I would agree with something like this, but still.... this reminds me of beer pong. Lets make up a bunch of silly rules to over complicate something that is equally fun and challenging without all of the hoops to jump through.
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests