Page 4 of 4

Re: Random computer shit

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:08 pm
by Jif
Darkfoxx wrote:
Harness wrote:Uhh ohh...... trying to get Jif to GSD (get shit done) for you? You might be here a while. :lol:

Lol...that's the truth.

dun dun dun... chips wrote:also, shiiiit i wish i could say a $130 gfx card is expensive. you punks are lucky: my next build will likely have to be on a $10,000 budget. damned render programs...

Fuuuck.


Can you buy a $2k PC to do basic/quick renders/encoding and then rent time on AWS or something for big jobs? Dunno how viable that'd be but it could save a ton of money depending on how much time needs to be rented

Re: Random computer shit

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:11 am
by Sonic
My university had lab machines set-up for the gfx guys...I'd be surprised if most schools don't have at least a few machines for the intensive stuff.

Re: Random computer shit

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:01 pm
by dun dun dun... chips
Darkfoxx wrote:
dun dun dun... chips wrote:also, shiiiit i wish i could say a $130 gfx card is expensive. you punks are lucky: my next build will likely have to be on a $10,000 budget. damned render programs...

Fuuuck.

the cheapest gfx card that i could put into my next computer, if i were to build it right now, is this one. and thats as cheap as i could possibly go (well, if i went with the quadros over the fire pros...)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814133559

if i were to put together something kickass right now? these two cards would be my goto, id have one of each.
the quadro k5200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814133557

and the tesla k40
http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Tesla-K40- ... +tesla+k40

Re: Random computer shit

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:51 pm
by Darkfoxx
dun dun dun... chips wrote:and the tesla k40
http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Tesla-K40- ... +tesla+k40

The fuck.

Does it suck your dick, too? :shock:

In all seriousness though, are the graphics just being offloaded from the CPU to the card? Is that what's going on there? Like you basically have a separate supercomputer that is processing your graphics. Just seems like there would be a bottleneck since the card isn't actually outputting anything externally.

Or is that an accessory to a graphics card?

Re: Random computer shit

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:05 pm
by dun dun dun... chips
Darkfoxx wrote:
dun dun dun... chips wrote:and the tesla k40
http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Tesla-K40- ... +tesla+k40

The fuck.

Does it suck your dick, too? :shock:

In all seriousness though, are the graphics just being offloaded from the CPU to the card? Is that what's going on there? Like you basically have a separate supercomputer that is processing your graphics. Just seems like there would be a bottleneck since the card isn't actually outputting anything externally.

Or is that an accessory to a graphics card?

it must hah for that price.
there are three kinds of workstation gfx cards, essentially: youve got mathematical computation (protein folding and the like), youve got active graphics, and youve got massive pixelcount displays (display walls)
the quadro is the king of active graphics currently, which includes CREO, autocad, anything that has any kind of geometric modelling that is updated in real time with loads of polygons and a good amount of active math. the fullscale gpu, either the hawaii chip for amd or the kepler chip for nvidia, is much better than a cpu because it has a ridiculous number of active threads that can modify the cards memory, and graphics is much more about memory swaps then it is actual computation.
amd has the best chips for display walls, 6 active displays is ridiculous, and 4 cards will drive 24 total. more ridiculous.
the tesla, however, and intel makes the xeon phi cards, are accelerators, not actual graphics cards. these cards arent meant to output anything actively, hence the lack of any video out ports, but are meant to be dedicated computational engines. when you are doing animation renders, for instance, which are almost exclusively a cpu process due to raytrace, the tesla has software that allows the cpu to transfer multithreaded tasks over to the accelerator and benefit from the architecture of a gpu when the dedicated gpu wouldnt have been able to deal with it due to lack of drivers. (this also allows you to not bog down the dedicated gpu with a x-hour render...) these are the cards that trump all else in terms of passive calculation, anything that doesnt rely on any immediate i/o. you could use it as a graphics engine as well, i suppose, but thats not really its purpose... an accelerator ends up being about effectively 10 times faster than any multithreaded gpu, give or take.
the tesla would cause a bottleneck, thats true, if it were actually calculating things for an active output to a screen. youd have a terrible latency, so the cards wouldnt work for something like gaming (even though it uses the same architecture, kepler is the same chip as the titans, 780s, etc) but since renders, for instance, only write to storage, it doesnt really make that much of a difference, and pcie doesnt slow down the transfer enough to make a difference.

Re: Random computer shit

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:00 am
by Jif
just buy a high end consumer geforce card or 2 and flash the quadro firmware on it. Unless things have changed the last few years they are usually identical cards with different firmware that allows them to run different drivers that are specialized for GPGPU and rendering, including drivers designed for specific programs.

i wouldnt do that in a business, but for a personal workstation? fuck yea i would. I know for sure a few years back the $999 Quadro or whatever nvidia card was the exact same PCB, chipset, and memory config as a $200 GeForce. the only difference was the firmware and label on the box. fuck that noise.

Re: Random computer shit

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:15 pm
by dun dun dun... chips
Jif wrote:just buy a high end consumer geforce card or 2 and flash the quadro firmware on it. Unless things have changed the last few years they are usually identical cards with different firmware that allows them to run different drivers that are specialized for GPGPU and rendering, including drivers designed for specific programs.

i wouldnt do that in a business, but for a personal workstation? fuck yea i would. I know for sure a few years back the $999 Quadro or whatever nvidia card was the exact same PCB, chipset, and memory config as a $200 GeForce. the only difference was the firmware and label on the box. fuck that noise.

this would be a nightmare now, and i dont think i have the ee skill to pull it off.
it used to be a software thing, where if you were cheeky enough with the flashing you could tell the card that it is something else, but nvidia got angry about this, and now its partially a hardware id as well, from what i hear.

Re: Random computer shit

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:30 pm
by Sonic
I've got it up and running, so far so good. Looking forward to having some fun with you guys.

Re: Random computer shit

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:24 am
by Darkfoxx
Sonic wrote:I've got it up and running, so far so good. Looking forward to having some fun with you guys.

YAY :thumbsup:

Every Wednesday night!

Re: Random computer shit

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:00 pm
by Jif
word