Android

Down here at the pawn shop... Buy, sell, and trade your unused PC parts and other items collecting dust. Who knows, someone else here may need your junk! Posting online deals are also encouraged.
Jif
Jimmy Jams

Re: Android

Postby Jif » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 am

Darkfoxx wrote:
Bacon wrote:could always try and ebay it. i sold my old iphone to a friend.

Yeah true. Looks like I could get $100-ish.

yea. try to get 1 year contracts if possible. VZW just stopped doing them...luckily i got in before so i get another new phone in like december.

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:37 am

also hopefully you can get in before they switch away from unlimited data.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:49 am

Bacon wrote:also hopefully you can get in before they switch away from unlimited data.

TMo doesnt do unlimited data. they do 5GB/mo and throttle speeds way down if you go over. 5GB is a fucking lot for a phone, tho. unless you stream netflix/skype video over HSPA+ all day or tether your laptop to do the same almost anyone will never hit 5GB.

VZW's new data plans are FUCKED. they went from 1 plan with unlimited 3G/4G for $30 to $30 for 2GB and 5GB for $50. fuck that shit. i'm grandfathered in, but as soon as i'm forced to switch to the new shitty plans i'm outty.

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:43 am

Jif wrote:
Bacon wrote:also hopefully you can get in before they switch away from unlimited data.

TMo doesnt do unlimited data. they do 5GB/mo and throttle speeds way down if you go over. 5GB is a fucking lot for a phone, tho. unless you stream netflix/skype video over HSPA+ all day or tether your laptop to do the same almost anyone will never hit 5GB.

VZW's new data plans are FUCKED. they went from 1 plan with unlimited 3G/4G for $30 to $30 for 2GB and 5GB for $50. fuck that shit. i'm grandfathered in, but as soon as i'm forced to switch to the new shitty plans i'm outty.

yeah limited data plans are trash. just another way the providers can keep traffic down so the y don't have to improve their infrastructure. so dumb

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 pm

for Reid:
http://www.theunwired.net/?item=photovi ... -hdmi-dock

official car dock coming soon.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Box.com (cloud storage site) giving 50GB storage to new or existing users that log in through their android app.
http://blog.box.com/2012/02/bonjour-box ... ductivity/

it looks identical to dropbox but 50GB is a lot more storage than 3 or w/e they offer.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu May 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Samsung Galaxy S III...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
http://mashable.com/2012/05/03/samsung- ... laxy-S-III

Quad-core CPU
4.8" AMOLED display
Siri-like voice commands (could be BIG but could only be as useful as existing free apps like Vlingo or ICS' built-in voice commands)
no-lag camera found in the Galaxy Nexus, but better

looks really good

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:18 am

http://www.androidcentral.com/linaro-sh ... timization

If you're a fan of Linux on ARM hardware, you've probably heard of Linaro. If not, the short version is that they're a group of ultra-smart engineers who work on optimizing open-source and Linux software (and the tools to build them) for the ARM architecture. Yes, Linaro comprises the people who build the tools regular nerds use to build apps and software. Why am I rambling on about Linaro, you ask? First, because every embedded Linux nerd (hi there!) has a secret crush on the whole team, and also because they have shown off Ice Cream Sandwich built with their optimization process. It's fast. Very fast. Faster at benchmarks than you ever thought an OMAP 4430 could ever be. So much faster that it's going to translate into real-world benefits, unlike many of the other tweaks and tricks there are for Android.

How can this happen? In the video after the break, Bernhard Rosenkränzer, Android toolchain expert at Linaro, puts it in perfect perspective. Google builds Android. Linaro takes it and tweaks it, squeezing out every bit of performance possible. Using the Android 4.0.4 source as a base, the fellows at Linaro have tweaked both the source (string routines in Bionic are mentioned by name) and the tools used to compile it. It's like those guys on TV who tinker with car engines to get performance that GM or Ford could never imagine. Make no mistake -- this is not something you can flash on your phone and make it work. Yet.

As Rosenkränzer explains, everything Linaro does is open source. The folks at CM can (and are) working with it, as well as the collective behind AOKP. Linaro is even submitting changes back to the Android Open Source Project so Google can review and use the tweaks that offer performance increase without affecting stability. Linaro working closely with Google would be like chocolate and peanut butter. This Linux and Android nerd hopes it happens. Be sure to watch the video after the break!

damn.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:23 am

Sweet. Wonder when we'll see that
Gaming:
Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:53 am

Darkfoxx wrote:Sweet. Wonder when we'll see that

only way i think we'll see it in official google code is if google buys/hires them. otherwise most likely we'll have to wait for custom ROMs. i bet google would implement some of the changes on its own after analyzing the code, tho.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:32 am

Max Payne out now! $3 and almost 1.4GB of content to DL
http://www.androidcentral.com/max-payne ... es-android

Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r.maxpayne

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Android MMORPG on sale for $1 https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... stDayDeals

good reviews.

$1 for other shit, too. i just bought GTAIII and the mini motor racing game. already have shazam, the jamie oliver cooking app, and the msecure password app that ive never launched.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Android Runtime

Postby Jif » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:17 pm

The new Android Runtime, ART, is finally out for testing on developer devices and some kit-kat ROMs. it will be replacing Dalvik, an aging JIT compiler built for compatibility. ART is an AOT compiler, or Ahead-Of-Time.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/06 ... in-kitkat/

ART, which stands for Android Runtime, handles app execution in a fundamentally different way from Dalvik. The current runtime relies on a Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler to interpret bytecode, a generic version of the original application code. In a manner of speaking, apps are only partially compiled by developers, then the resulting code must go through an interpreter on a user's device each and every time it is run. The process involves a lot of overhead and isn't particularly efficient, but the mechanism makes it easy for apps to run on a variety of hardware and architectures. ART is set to change this process by pre-compiling that bytecode into machine language when apps are first installed, turning them into truly native apps. This process is called Ahead-Of-Time (AOT) compilation. By removing the need to spin up a new virtual machine or run interpreted code, startup times can be cut down immensely and ongoing execution will become faster, as well.

Once this is fully implemented and apps have been updated, the android OS as a whole should be more responsive and fluid, apps should load faster and perform better, and battery life should increase noticeably. WIN-WIN.

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Re: Android Runtime

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:02 am

Jif wrote:The new Android Runtime, ART, is finally out for testing on developer devices and some kit-kat ROMs. it will be replacing Dalvik, an aging JIT compiler built for compatibility. ART is an AOT compiler, or Ahead-Of-Time.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/06 ... in-kitkat/

ART, which stands for Android Runtime, handles app execution in a fundamentally different way from Dalvik. The current runtime relies on a Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler to interpret bytecode, a generic version of the original application code. In a manner of speaking, apps are only partially compiled by developers, then the resulting code must go through an interpreter on a user's device each and every time it is run. The process involves a lot of overhead and isn't particularly efficient, but the mechanism makes it easy for apps to run on a variety of hardware and architectures. ART is set to change this process by pre-compiling that bytecode into machine language when apps are first installed, turning them into truly native apps. This process is called Ahead-Of-Time (AOT) compilation. By removing the need to spin up a new virtual machine or run interpreted code, startup times can be cut down immensely and ongoing execution will become faster, as well.

Once this is fully implemented and apps have been updated, the android OS as a whole should be more responsive and fluid, apps should load faster and perform better, and battery life should increase noticeably. WIN-WIN.

as a programmer, i cant agree with you on this one, or at least not completely. the truest efficiency is one where both the program language and the compiler are making a run for a single set of hardware. just so long as there is more than one set of hardware android is meant to run, it will always have that inefficiency.
better? yeah, this should be loads better. best? definitely not. we shall see how this plays out in execution, but im not going to hold my breath for beaucoup speed.

Return to “The Pawn Shop”