WTS: SSD

Down here at the pawn shop... Buy, sell, and trade your unused PC parts and other items collecting dust. Who knows, someone else here may need your junk! Posting online deals are also encouraged.
Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Re: WTS: SSD

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Jif wrote:i'd probably get bored, lose interest, cancel the load, and find something else to play

Attention span of a 5 year old. :lol:
Gaming:
Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:
Jif wrote:i'd probably get bored, lose interest, cancel the load, and find something else to play

Attention span of a 5 year old. :lol:

i wish it were that high. ive had a new email open addressed to you to send u shit to see in boston for your coworker since u texted me. havent typed a single thing yet and its been 30 minutes

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Jif wrote:i wish it were that high. ive had a new email open addressed to you to send u shit to see in boston for your coworker since u texted me. havent typed a single thing yet and its been 30 minutes

Damn you.

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png
tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png (19.51 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
Gaming:
Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:
Jif wrote:i wish it were that high. ive had a new email open addressed to you to send u shit to see in boston for your coworker since u texted me. havent typed a single thing yet and its been 30 minutes

Damn you.

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

been an our and a half...still nothing

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Jif wrote:been an our and a half...still nothing

Don't be a nigger.
Gaming:
Workstation:

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 am

Jif wrote:i guess u would rather spend 40 seconds loading up a map every 20 minutes instead of 15. in big games like BF3 its extremely noticeable, and BF3 loads maps in the background before the game even launches (you join servers via web browser and it loads the game and map in the background. then when it's ready it launches you in-game staring at the squad screen). it can take 90 seconds to load BF3 + map off a mech drive, but it takes me like 20 seconds on the SSD. if i had to spend 90 seconds to load a game+map i'd probably get bored, lose interest, cancel the load, and find something else to play

yes and no. with big games like that i would, but most games wont tax a computer like that. tf2, for instance, a game that i play all the time, even my sata3 hdds load maps in under 10 seconds. i have yet to come across a game that takes longer than 20ish to load something ingame.
edit: i mean, ffs, even skyrim loaded all its resources when loading in under 10 seconds. why put it on an ssd to get 5?

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:21 pm

dun dun dun... chips wrote: why put it on an ssd to get 5?

b/c i hate u

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Jif wrote:
dun dun dun... chips wrote: why put it on an ssd to get 5?

b/c i hate u

rofl LOVE YOU

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Fuck yeah.

vertex4freshinstall071712.png
vertex4freshinstall071712.png (58.67 KiB) Viewed 4022 times

Keep in mind this is SATA II and not III. Can't wait to see what I get with a new mobo...
Gaming:
Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 am

Darkfoxx wrote:Fuck yeah.

vertex4freshinstall071712.png

Keep in mind this is SATA II and not III. Can't wait to see what I get with a new mobo...

what are you using it for? boot drive + apps? if being use as a boot drive the most important spec by far are those 4k random read/writes. they are they single most important factor in determining the real world speed of a drive hosting your OS partition. those speeds are what make a drive feel fast or slow. other extremely important specs for a boot drive that you (or crystalmark) didnt display are random 4k write latency and I/Os per second.

your drive shows decent 4k read/write but not as high as i would have expected, actually. the 4k write is really high, IMO. your SSD writes faster than it reads, which means either there's new controller technology im not away of (which is very likely), the drive hasnt filled all its blocks yet (definitely didnt happen yet) or probably both. once the drive has used all its NAND blocks the write times should decrease substantially. this is where new controller tech could offset the long-term penalty of writing. traditionally, once the drive has written to every block, which it will even if it's never filled as it fills empty blocks 1st and deleted files are left written in the blocks themselves until the controller comes back around to fill that block with new data, it has to wipe previously-used blocks before writing new data, which means latencies will increase and write times will decrease as writing data is now a 2 step process. i read an article a while ago about upcoming controller technology that would wipe a block after the file has been deleted rather than wipe for the block to be used again, which would make it take longer to delete files (and empty recycle bins) but keep write speeds about the same as brand new (unused blocks). i imagine this is used in new drives, and if so then the pretty significant, although maybe not always noticeable, performance degradation of an SSD over time could be nullified. nice

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:26 am

Jif wrote:what are you using it for? boot drive + apps? if being use as a boot drive the most important spec by far are those 4k random read/writes. they are they single most important factor in determining the real world speed of a drive hosting your OS partition. those speeds are what make a drive feel fast or slow. other extremely important specs for a boot drive that you (or crystalmark) didnt display are random 4k write latency and I/Os per second.

Yes, boot drive, games, apps. There's probably a better disk I/O benchmark out there....Crystal is the only one I know of though.

On the blocks not being filled yet - yeah, that's what I figure as well. Hopefully by that time I'll have a new mobo with SATA III.

EDIT: Found out I need to run the firmware update twice. I'm at the 1.4.x firmware and they're at 1.5.x. Basically the first firmware flash bring it up to 1.4 then you gotta run it again. I gotta give OCZ credit because they make a bootable Linux iso that's like a live CD type thing. Love shit like that.

After I patch the firmware I'll check the speeds again.
Gaming:
Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Darkfoxx wrote: I gotta give OCZ credit because they make a bootable Linux iso that's like a live CD type thing. Love shit like that.

After I patch the firmware I'll check the speeds again.

Intel does the same thing. crystalmark is one of the best. the other benchmark i often see is IOMeter or something like that. it mainly (only?) measures the # of I/O operations per second

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Did a test today to compare the two SSD drives.

Old 120 GB Vertex:
vertex120clean1.7.png
vertex120clean1.7.png (38.33 KiB) Viewed 3946 times

New Vertex 4:
vertex4halffull1.5.png
vertex4halffull1.5.png (39.41 KiB) Viewed 3946 times

Not bad.
Gaming:
Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:29 am

Darkfoxx wrote:Did a test today to compare the two SSD drives.

Old 120 GB Vertex:
vertex120clean1.7.png

New Vertex 4:
vertex4halffull1.5.png

Not bad.

HOLY SHIT. not bad is quite the understatement. u can ignore the top tests (for the most part). the random tests are way more indicative of real-world performance, and your 4k random writes are RIDICULOUS. WOW. how big is the vertex?

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:27 am

Jif wrote:HOLY SHIT. not bad is quite the understatement. u can ignore the top tests (for the most part). the random tests are way more indicative of real-world performance, and your 4k random writes are RIDICULOUS. WOW. how big is the vertex?

256GB is the new Vertex 4.

I'd imagine the speeds will go up when I get SATA III, although I'm not sure by how much.
Gaming:
Workstation:

Return to “The Pawn Shop”