WTS: SSD

Down here at the pawn shop... Buy, sell, and trade your unused PC parts and other items collecting dust. Who knows, someone else here may need your junk! Posting online deals are also encouraged.
dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Re: WTS: SSD

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:46 am

Darkfoxx wrote:
Jif wrote:HOLY SHIT. not bad is quite the understatement. u can ignore the top tests (for the most part). the random tests are way more indicative of real-world performance, and your 4k random writes are RIDICULOUS. WOW. how big is the vertex?

256GB is the new Vertex 4.

I'd imagine the speeds will go up when I get SATA III, although I'm not sure by how much.

considering you are getting, somewhat, the same speeds i was getting from my sata3 hdds, id say you are going to notice a significant difference. my ssd fucking flies.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:
Jif wrote:HOLY SHIT. not bad is quite the understatement. u can ignore the top tests (for the most part). the random tests are way more indicative of real-world performance, and your 4k random writes are RIDICULOUS. WOW. how big is the vertex?

I'd imagine the speeds will go up when I get SATA III, although I'm not sure by how much.

OK that explains some of the increase. the larger the SSD the faster it is

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:55 pm

dun dun dun... chips wrote:
Darkfoxx wrote:

considering you are getting, somewhat, the same speeds i was getting from my sata3 hdds, id say you are going to notice a significant difference. my ssd fucking flies.

pics or it didnt happen

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Jif wrote:pics or it didnt happen

i already posted the pics of my system speeds when i made the thread after i built my box. my hdds were comparable to sata2 ssds.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:25 pm

dun dun dun... chips wrote:i already posted the pics of my system speeds when i made the thread after i built my box. my hdds were comparable to sata2 ssds.

http://www.thestoleneye.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1723&p=29597

Heh, my write speeds are ridiculously better :D
Gaming:
Workstation:

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:16 pm

whoops, the picture that i looked at was of my ssd haha i feel silly
still, though, sata3 is much faster than sata2. i benchmarked one of my old computers against my current one to do the same thing.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:54 pm

i already posted the pics of my system speeds when i made the thread after i built my box. my hdds were comparable to sata2 ssds.

uh your HDDs arent even CLOSE to any SSD. sequential read/write means absolutely nothing for real-world performance. noticeable speed/performance is almost entirely exclusive to random 4K read/write bandwidth, latency (the best consumer HDDs for latency for 10k rpm raptors @ ~4ms vs .01 for any SSD), and the amount of IOs they can handle (as of 1-2 years ago most SSDs did like 10x more IO/s than the best HDDs.

sry bud, but the pic you posted doesnt even hold a candle to a 4 year old sata2 SSD. Sequential read/write means loading/saving one large file. a 200 MB/s sequential read/write speed helps ONLY when opening, copying, or saving an extremely large file like an ISO, archive, or movie. any time youre copying/saving/opening many small files at once, these are "random" r/w's b/c each file will be stored randomly across the NAND chips in the drive. "Sequential" means a file larger than one block, but the performance only really matters if the file is large enough to span thousands of blocks so the SSD can keep going right along the flash chip to perform the task.

TLDR: read this article starting from the page i linked (3). u can skip some of the techno-babble, but it explains clearly why any traditonal HDD cant even hold a candle to a decent SSD. also, the article is 3 years old and almost all of the "issues" mentioned about SSDs have been eliminated (technically not eliminated but no longer very noticeable).

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 am

Jif wrote:

uh your HDDs arent even CLOSE to any SSD. sequential read/write means absolutely nothing for real-world performance. noticeable speed/performance is almost entirely exclusive to random 4K read/write bandwidth, latency (the best consumer HDDs for latency for 10k rpm raptors @ ~4ms vs .01 for any SSD), and the amount of IOs they can handle (as of 1-2 years ago most SSDs did like 10x more IO/s than the best HDDs.

sry bud, but the pic you posted doesnt even hold a candle to a 4 year old sata2 SSD. Sequential read/write means loading/saving one large file. a 200 MB/s sequential read/write speed helps ONLY when opening, copying, or saving an extremely large file like an ISO, archive, or movie. any time youre copying/saving/opening many small files at once, these are "random" r/w's b/c each file will be stored randomly across the NAND chips in the drive. "Sequential" means a file larger than one block, but the performance only really matters if the file is large enough to span thousands of blocks so the SSD can keep going right along the flash chip to perform the task.

TLDR: read this article starting from the page i linked (3). u can skip some of the techno-babble, but it explains clearly why any traditonal HDD cant even hold a candle to a decent SSD. also, the article is 3 years old and almost all of the "issues" mentioned about SSDs have been eliminated (technically not eliminated but no longer very noticeable).

dun dun dun... chips wrote:whoops, the picture that i looked at was of my ssd haha i feel silly
still, though, sata3 is much faster than sata2. i benchmarked one of my old computers against my current one to do the same thing.

i know the differences between ssds and hdds, mate, ive got both in my computer.

Return to “The Pawn Shop”