ivy bridge-e

Down here at the pawn shop... Buy, sell, and trade your unused PC parts and other items collecting dust. Who knows, someone else here may need your junk! Posting online deals are also encouraged.
dun dun dun... chips
Papes
ivy bridge-e

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:44 pm

i know that this is most likely only aimed at jifs interest, but i felt like bringing it up.

i was doing some looking around at computer tech, since its been a while since i really delved into new stuff, and holy crap, its lackluster. it seems like everyone is just putting out old tech with new names. i mean, come on amd, re-releasing the 7000 series while putting off the 8000s? boooooooo

i did see, however, that the ivy bridge-e stuff had hit the market, and ive got to say, once again, that im really disappointed in it. i know it would blow my current rig out of the water, but really? putting ivy bridge on the 2011 mobo? sticking with the x79 instead of the z87? but whyyyy... you sacrifice so much new tech with the old chipset. along with the fact that its still a 6-core chip with a 22nm die? they went from 32nm to 22nm and didnt up the number of cores? couldve easily done 8 cores, i was hoping for a blowout with the beaucoup one with 12...

marginal increases mean that this chip isnt really worth that much of an upgrade, and i think id hold off, even if i had the money to put something together right now. disappoint...

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Re: ivy bridge-e

Postby Jif » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:55 am

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Re: ivy bridge-e

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:42 am

its gotta be the step, but it doesnt make any sense, since there have been two marginal releases now in a row.
sandybridge -> ivebridge = 10% bump in overall power.
ivybridge -> haswells = neat architecture, <10% bump in power.

of course the sandybridge-e -> ivybridge-e wasnt going to be a huge leap forward, but benchmarks are showing only about a 2% increase in power between the 3960x and the 4960x.
the 3770k to the 4770k was a pretty good bump, but these are the enthusiast processors, the ones that cost 500 for the entry level and a grand for the better ones. a 2% increase? why even release it? especially on the 2011 socket, which is years old now? it still used x79, which means no pci-e3, no usb3, no sata express... makes no sense.

enthusiast computers are getting left behind, and i feel that its partly due to such an obsession with mobile tech, and partly due to them hitting a wall. i think theyve run out of ideas on how to make stuff more powerful. couldve added more cores, even though alot of software wont use it fully, but what are workstation rigs going to use now? cant use the e series processors, those are server cores, not structured for number crunching, and the current crunching cpus are essentially 3 years old.

i can appreciate making something smaller and less power hungry, but ffs, make something that really fucking screams, then you will have my attention again. i want a monster looming in the corner of my room, not a super speedy phone.

Return to “The Pawn Shop”