New Wheels

Talk about buying cars, fixing them, and everything in between.
Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Re: New Wheels

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:33 am

Harness wrote:Brembo makes good stuff. I never heard of the pads you ordered. Sure you don't want to put something ceramic that might be more common? These pads don't come with wear sensors. If you "brake lining low" warning indicator was on then you need to replace them. Also, if the light for your lining is on and you replace the sensors then you need to find out if you have one per axle or one for each and every wheel...... Welcome to the wonderful world of BMW!

I belong to a BMW owners forum and they recommend either Akebono ceramics or Hawk ceramics. Pretty much the standard for Z4 ceramics. My warning light isn't on yet, so hopefully they can reuse the sensors. If not, I'll just have 'em replaced.
Gaming:
Workstation:

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Harness wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of BMW!

so nice to drive; such a pain in the ass to work on.

my dad owns three bmw motorcycles and loves them to death. they are nice bikes, no joke, but theyve got more bells and whistles and complicated instruments than a marching band.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:15 pm

dun dun dun... chips wrote:
Harness wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of BMW!

so nice to drive; such a pain in the ass to work on.

$1290 for the work I had done the past two days, pretty minor stuff too. Intake boot replaced, radius arm bushings replaced on front left wheel, Alternator belt and AC belt replaced, BMW Inspection I.

FML! BUT....she sounds/looks beautiful again. Goddamn.
Gaming:
Workstation:

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Darkfoxx wrote: radium arm bushings .

Radius arm bushings. Prevents excessive travel forward and rearward of front wheel. I usually do them in sets for both front wheels but you be aight. Keep an eye on this, replacing these often can mean your frame is bent.
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Harness wrote:
Darkfoxx wrote: radium arm bushings .

Radius arm bushings. Prevents excessive travel forward and rearward of front wheel. I usually do them in sets for both front wheels but you be aight. Keep an eye on this, replacing these often can mean your frame is bent.

Misspelled that in a hurry,

It's most likely because of the roads around here. They are terrible.
Gaming:
Workstation:

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:16 am

Now a question for you...how hard is it to remove the Idle Control Valve on a Z4 (M54 engine)? I want to take it out and clean it, as I heard on the Z4 forum I belong to that it also contributes to the hissing sound when slightly depressing the throttle. The intake boot they replaced lessened the sound, but it's still there and I'm OCD about shit.

#8 http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mod ... g=11&fg=40

Gaming:
Workstation:

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:Now a question for you...how hard is it to remove the Idle Control Valve on a Z4 (M54 engine)? I want to take it out and clean it, as I heard on the Z4 forum I belong to that it also contributes to the hissing sound when slightly depressing the throttle. The intake boot they replaced lessened the sound, but it's still there and I'm OCD about shit.

#8 http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mod ... g=11&fg=40

I'm pretty sure they are nice and easy to replace. You might have to break off the hose clamps holding the tubes on, depending on the design, and replace them but other then that should be cut and dry. I'm going to warn you, it's almost rule of thumb to never remove an electrical component and clean it out. I have done it in the past and had poor results. The only part I ever remove and clean is the mass air flow sensor and I use this:
Image.

It's very possible you could have a small vacuum leak. Small enough to keep the check engine light off but big enough to make a noise or you could have a dirty throttle plate.

If your going to be in the philly area anytime soon I could always smoke your intake and check your fuel trims with a scanner (http://www.stealth316.com/misc/obdii_fuel_trim.pdf). This is an absolute test in finding vacuum leaks but if not, try cleaning out the IAC but only with sensor safe cleaner. Let me know what you do, i'm really curious if it fixes your noise.

*edit* I'll run your noise problem through my research forums to see what hits, get back to you.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Harness wrote:I'm pretty sure they are nice and easy to replace. You might have to break off the hose clamps holding the tubes on, depending on the design, and replace them but other then that should be cut and dry. I'm going to warn you, it's almost rule of thumb to never remove an electrical component and clean it out. I have done it in the past and had poor results. The only part I ever remove and clean is the mass air flow sensor and I use this:
Image.

It's very possible you could have a small vacuum leak. Small enough to keep the check engine light off but big enough to make a noise or you could have a dirty throttle plate.

If your going to be in the philly area anytime soon I could always smoke your intake and check your fuel trims with a scanner (http://www.stealth316.com/misc/obdii_fuel_trim.pdf). This is an absolute test in finding vacuum leaks but if not, try cleaning out the IAC but only with sensor safe cleaner. Let me know what you do, i'm really curious if it fixes your noise.

The forums were saying to use throttle body cleaner. Might be the same thing as the MAF cleaner...not sure. If I have time I'll check it out.

Apparently this is a really common issue with Z4's and other BMWs. I'll be in Philly in two weeks if you're available. I'm going to see Doug Stanhope w/ Jif on Friday May 13th @ the Troc, but I was planning on going home Saturday. I could stop by!

Harness wrote:*edit* I'll run your noise problem through my research forums to see what hits, get back to you.

Thanks buddy.
Gaming:
Workstation:

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:Apparently this is a really common issue with Z4's and other BMWs. I'll be in Philly in two weeks if you're available. I'm going to see Doug Stanhope w/ Jif on Friday May 13th @ the Troc, but I was planning on going home Saturday. I could stop by!

I need compressed air to do this and a suitable scan tool. Maybe that saturday you could stop by the shop and we can get shit done. Come on by when we close and we can go have a few beers after. if you would need a place to crash after no problem. Jif can come too but he would have to go home as my wife may find him offensive :P

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Harness wrote:I need compressed air to do this and a suitable scan tool. Maybe that saturday you could stop by the shop and we can get shit done. Come on by when we close and we can go have a few beers after. if you would need a place to crash after no problem.

Yeah man, I could stop by the shop. Get some beers after...fuck yeah.

Harness wrote:Jif can come too but he would have to go home as my wife may find him offensive :P

HAHA :lol:
Gaming:
Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:
Harness wrote:I need compressed air to do this and a suitable scan tool. Maybe that saturday you could stop by the shop and we can get shit done. Come on by when we close and we can go have a few beers after. if you would need a place to crash after no problem.

Yeah man, I could stop by the shop. Get some beers after...fuck yeah.

Harness wrote:Jif can come too but he would have to go home as my wife may find him offensive :P

HAHA :lol:

heard i smell like a barn

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Jif wrote:heard i smell like a barn

In that case your welcome to come over too! My wife spent most of her life taking care of horses so.....

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Harness wrote:

In that case your welcome to come over too! My wife spent most of her life taking care of horses so.....

HAHA...we'll make a day out of it.
Gaming:
Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Sun May 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:
Harness wrote:

HAHA...we'll make a day out of it.

no doubt. GRAND OLE TIME. you dont wanna come out with us, do ya? going to the troc for Doug Stanhope then prolly to old city, close out the bars, then Geno's steaks

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Sun May 01, 2011 9:26 pm

Jif wrote:no doubt. GRAND OLE TIME. you dont wanna come out with us, do ya? going to the troc for Doug Stanhope then prolly to old city, close out the bars, then Geno's steaks

I work both friday and saturday and I'm getting to old to come out and play on a work night. Thanks for the invite though.

Return to “The Garage”