Harnessssssssssss

Talk about buying cars, fixing them, and everything in between.
Jif
Jimmy Jams

Harnessssssssssss

Postby Jif » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:28 pm

i need yo

my 03 mustang v6 has a dash light on that says something about the gas cap. i checked the gasket around the cap and reseated it like 10 times. no change. i bought i new cap. no change. i assume the sensor works off gas tank/fill hose pressure. if so, this means i have a leak somewhere? it's not leaking gas but i do smell gas after driving for a little. i havent had a decrease in miles per tank nor does it feel underperforming but the light's been on for like a month now. it started shortly after i filled up so i thought the gas dude f'ed up my cap but new cap didnt fix it (it's illegal in NJ to pump your own gas...)

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Re: Harnessssssssssss

Postby Darkfoxx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:56 pm

My "fuel door open" light comes on once in a while after I fill up, but it's just BMW's nazi electronic sensor thing on the gas cap door if I don't close it right.

Might just be a bad sensor...or something. Don't know.
Gaming:
Workstation:

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Jif wrote:(it's illegal in NJ to pump your own gas...)

fer serious? wow... fucking goofy state, yo, no joke.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:35 pm

dun dun dun... chips wrote:
Jif wrote:(it's illegal in NJ to pump your own gas...)

fer serious? wow... fucking goofy state, yo, no joke.

I know right? I hate getting gas there cause I feel like I have to tip the guy pumping the gas. Yeah, I'm weird.
Gaming:
Workstation:

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:21 pm

Jif wrote:i need yo

my 03 mustang v6 has a dash light on that says something about the gas cap. i checked the gasket around the cap and reseated it like 10 times. no change. i bought i new cap. no change. i assume the sensor works off gas tank/fill hose pressure. if so, this means i have a leak somewhere? it's not leaking gas but i do smell gas after driving for a little. i havent had a decrease in miles per tank nor does it feel underperforming but the light's been on for like a month now. it started shortly after i filled up so i thought the gas dude f'ed up my cap but new cap didnt fix it (it's illegal in NJ to pump your own gas...)

Your vehicle has whats called an EVAP system. To put it in a nutshell, all the liquid gas that turns into a vapor right inside of your gas tank is sucked into a charcoal canister and delivered to your engine under certain conditions, usually when your cruising down the highway. A small leak in this system will, on some cars, cause a "check gas cap" light to come on. If your vehicles computer senses a leak in this system for more then 1 or 2 "drive cycles" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_cycle) it will turn on the check engine light and most likely keep the check gas cap light on as well. Your not at the point where your check engine light is on and that's good, this could potentially mean that you don't have a problem that will require a repair.

It's very possible that your gas cap was left loose or something stupid like that but simply replacing the gas cap will not get your light to shut off by itself. Your vehicle would have to pass 2 consecutive EVAP monitor drive cycles in order to turn off the light and send your problem to the computers history file instead of it's current. Basically, your vehicles computer would check your EVAP system under certain driving conditions and pass or fail that system based on the readings from all your sensors. EVAP systems are easily the hardest monitors to set as the driving conditions are difficult to duplicate, on top of that you would have to pass twice before that light shuts itself off. Replacing your gas cap was a great thing to do because if your car does indeed have a problem then that would be the first step anyway.

Every time your check engine light, or even your check gas cap light comes on, your vehicles on-board computer has stored a diagnostic trouble to aid in trouble shooting a problem. You can take you car to Autozone, or a lot of different shops for that matter, and they will pull the code for free and tell you what it is. When they give the description of the code ask them to clear it for you and that will turn off the light. It's most likely that you have a code stored for "EVAP system small leak detected". If this is the case don't sweet it, your car will run fine and your not going to break down on the side of the road or anything. If sometime in the future your check engine light comes on your going to have to address the problem because it will fail NJ emissions testing.

Hope this helps. Don't spend no fucking money till you talk to me first ok nig!
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:My "fuel door open" light comes on once in a while after I fill up, but it's just BMW's nazi electronic sensor thing on the gas cap door if I don't close it right.

Might just be a bad sensor...or something. Don't know.

Fuck BMW!

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Harness wrote:
Jif wrote:i need yo

Your vehicle has whats called an EVAP system. To put it in a nutshell, all the liquid gas that turns into a vapor right inside of your gas tank is sucked into a charcoal canister and delivered to your engine under certain conditions, usually when your cruising down the highway. A small leak in this system will, on some cars, cause a "check gas cap" light to come on. If your vehicles computer senses a leak in this system for more then 1 or 2 "drive cycles" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_cycle) it will turn on the check engine light and most likely keep the check gas cap light on as well. Your not at the point where your check engine light is on and that's good, this could potentially mean that you don't have a problem that will require a repair.

It's very possible that your gas cap was left loose or something stupid like that but simply replacing the gas cap will not get your light to shut off by itself. Your vehicle would have to pass 2 consecutive EVAP monitor drive cycles in order to turn off the light and send your problem to the computers history file instead of it's current. Basically, your vehicles computer would check your EVAP system under certain driving conditions and pass or fail that system based on the readings from all your sensors. EVAP systems are easily the hardest monitors to set as the driving conditions are difficult to duplicate, on top of that you would have to pass twice before that light shuts itself off. Replacing your gas cap was a great thing to do because if your car does indeed have a problem then that would be the first step anyway.

Every time your check engine light, or even your check gas cap light comes on, your vehicles on-board computer has stored a diagnostic trouble to aid in trouble shooting a problem. You can take you car to Autozone, or a lot of different shops for that matter, and they will pull the code for free and tell you what it is. When they give the description of the code ask them to clear it for you and that will turn off the light. It's most likely that you have a code stored for "EVAP system small leak detected". If this is the case don't sweet it, your car will run fine and your not going to break down on the side of the road or anything. If sometime in the future your check engine light comes on your going to have to address the problem because it will fail NJ emissions testing.

Hope this helps. Don't spend no fucking money till you talk to me first ok nig!

approximately how long will a driving cycle take? it's been about 140 miles since i changed the gas cap. i fill up @ ~215 miles/tank. ya check engine light isnt on. my Tuner can read those codes but i havent tried it with just the gas cap light. it's a basic code reader and doesnt show a lot of info. a friend of my dad has a $4k snap-on diagnostics laptop we can use if needed. this makes things much clearer. ill drive as normal until either the light goes out or the check engine light comes on.

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Use your code reader to pull the code. Just about any scan tool that can pull codes can also clear them.

100+ miles should have gotten the EVAP monitor to set. It's rare but I have in the past had cars that never set the EVAP monitor and in all honesty I don't know if the aftermarket changes to your computer would have any impact on the ability to set EVAP.

Again, it's not something that's very important to your engine or your performance but to help in future diagnostics it's kinda important to find out what the code is now. Once you know what the code is no big deal just to clear it as long as your not going in for state inspection like sometime this week.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Mon May 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Harness wrote:Use your code reader to pull the code. Just about any scan tool that can pull codes can also clear them.

100+ miles should have gotten the EVAP monitor to set. It's rare but I have in the past had cars that never set the EVAP monitor and in all honesty I don't know if the aftermarket changes to your computer would have any impact on the ability to set EVAP.

Again, it's not something that's very important to your engine or your performance but to help in future diagnostics it's kinda important to find out what the code is now. Once you know what the code is no big deal just to clear it as long as your not going in for state inspection like sometime this week.

k so finally got around to pulling the codes. the tuner was in my driver's side door and i didnt feel like reaching under the dash to plug it in! kicked back 2 codes:
P1000, obd systems readiness test not complete
P0457, evaporative emission system leak detected (fuel cap loose/off)

i cleared the codes and restarted and the gas cap code vanished. looks like the original cap was bad but needed code reset. however i still smell fuel after driving even a few miles and it's heavier when i drive longer.
P1000 - online it says it's basically the code that says an obii code was tripped so you have to fix the code (p0457) and then do the driving cycle thing.
what sux is ive seen 3 or 4 sites/forums mention that to reset the evaporation code you need to drive with 1/2-7/8 tank @ 60mph for >10 minutes. WTF! i have no where i need to go that requires highways. not gonna burn $4/gal gas to reset a code. hopefully it resets on its own, and hopefully the evaporation code stays gone.

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Mon May 02, 2011 9:12 pm

Jif wrote:
Harness wrote:Use your code reader to pull the code. Just about any scan tool that can pull codes can also clear them.

k so finally got around to pulling the codes. the tuner was in my driver's side door and i didnt feel like reaching under the dash to plug it in! kicked back 2 codes:

i cleared the codes and restarted and the gas cap code vanished. looks like the original cap was bad but needed code reset. however i still smell fuel after driving even a few miles and it's heavier when i drive longer.
P1000 - online it says it's basically the code that says an obii code was tripped so you have to fix the code (p0457) and then do the driving cycle thing.
what sux is ive seen 3 or 4 sites/forums mention that to reset the evaporation code you need to drive with 1/2-7/8 tank @ 60mph for >10 minutes. WTF! i have no where i need to go that requires highways. not gonna burn $4/gal gas to reset a code. hopefully it resets on its own, and hopefully the evaporation code stays gone.

You should not be smelling gas, that's usually a bad thing. Do you smell it when your inside the vehicle or outside? Try not turning on your blower motor (the hot/cold air vent) and see it you don't smell gas anymore. On top of that make sure you have air recirculate on so your not bringing air from near the engine compartment inside the cabin. The air recirculation will either have a pic of a car with an arrow coming outside to inside the vehicle or two arrows going in a circle, if even equipped. Were trying to isolate you potential gas leak to under your hood or.... somewhere else. A lot of people who complain of a gas smell have a leaking fuel pressure regulator and that mounts to your fuel rail on top of the engine. Often the smell comes right through the vents.

Not going highway is why you haven't set your EVAP monitor BUT it's very possible that the reason you have a P1000 is because your car can't pass the EVAP either. Anyway it doesn't matter because if there is a problem the code will come back and your going to be looking at your check gas cap light again.

Gimmie year, make, model and engine size and I'll run your code through my website.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Tue May 03, 2011 9:36 am

Harness wrote:
Jif wrote:

You should not be smelling gas, that's usually a bad thing. Do you smell it when your inside the vehicle or outside? Try not turning on your blower motor (the hot/cold air vent) and see it you don't smell gas anymore. On top of that make sure you have air recirculate on so your not bringing air from near the engine compartment inside the cabin. The air recirculation will either have a pic of a car with an arrow coming outside to inside the vehicle or two arrows going in a circle, if even equipped. Were trying to isolate you potential gas leak to under your hood or.... somewhere else. A lot of people who complain of a gas smell have a leaking fuel pressure regulator and that mounts to your fuel rail on top of the engine. Often the smell comes right through the vents.

Not going highway is why you haven't set your EVAP monitor BUT it's very possible that the reason you have a P1000 is because your car can't pass the EVAP either. Anyway it doesn't matter because if there is a problem the code will come back and your going to be looking at your check gas cap light again.

Gimmie year, make, model and engine size and I'll run your code through my website.

i drive a convertible and it's still spring so i havent run my air vents since winter. i smell it regularly. i smell it more after i park with the top down. never when im driving, not even when im stopped. pretty sure i dont have a recirculate option.

i tried tracking down the smell with my nose but my sense of smell is terrible and couldnt locate it.

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Tue May 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Let me get your year, make,model and engine size

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed May 04, 2011 11:24 am

Harness wrote:Let me get your year, make,model and engine size

2003 mustang base v6 3.8

it has CAI and an aggressive tune + premium gas.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Tue May 24, 2011 12:45 pm

code P0457. same as before even tho it's a new cap and the code was reset. This time the other code, P1000, is absent. My dad says he has access to a smoker so we're gonna do that probably next week.

I saw a few people with the exact same problem as me on some random mustang forums. same code and also all smelled gas. they all replaced the cap and reset their codes only to see them pop up a few weeks later. exactly as me.

oh yea, 2 of the people that followed up their posts with their results said there were leaks in the vapor system. another guy said it's not uncommon for the hose to leak where it connects to the fuel tank

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Tue May 24, 2011 9:26 pm

Jif wrote:code P0457. same as before even tho it's a new cap and the code was reset. This time the other code, P1000, is absent. My dad says he has access to a smoker so we're gonna do that probably next week.

I saw a few people with the exact same problem as me on some random mustang forums. same code and also all smelled gas. they all replaced the cap and reset their codes only to see them pop up a few weeks later. exactly as me.

oh yea, 2 of the people that followed up their posts with their results said there were leaks in the vapor system. another guy said it's not uncommon for the hose to leak where it connects to the fuel tank

To properly smoke test the evap system you should really have a scan tool capable of closing the evap vent valve. Basically, the vent valve allows fresh air to enter the evap system and is normally OPEN unless closed by the PCM. So... if you went to smoke the evap on your car without a scan tool you WILL find a leak, unfortunately, its only leaking where it's supposed to and your not building up enough pressure to properly test the rest of the system. You can always jump out the vent valve electrical terminals but that's usually a pain in the ass. Also, you can pinch the hose on the side of the vent valve that would vent to atmosphere, but your not testing for leaks that are caused by the vent valve itself. ugghhh..... It can be a gigantic whirlwind of feces trying to find a leak in the evap system but you do have one thing on your side. If you smell gas then the leak has to be on the larger side and not some tiny little thing that everyone in the neighborhood has tried and failed to find but don't forget to check the actual components in the system as I see them fail much more then simple hoses or connections.

Remember I work for beer :)

Return to “The Garage”