New phone?

Down here at the pawn shop... Buy, sell, and trade your unused PC parts and other items collecting dust. Who knows, someone else here may need your junk! Posting online deals are also encouraged.
Jif
Jimmy Jams
New phone?

Postby Jif » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:09 am

my contract allows me to get a new phone with discount i think next month. im not itching for a new phone b/c i love my TB. however, google/samsung just announced the new google vanilla phone, the Galaxy Nexus: http://www.google.com/nexus/

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
4.65" screen (WOW)
tru 720p res (WOW)
contoured/curved gorilla glass display
super thin
1080p camcorder
4G LTE
dual-core 1.2ghz cpu (not tegra)
vanilla android experience means no bloatware (but also no SenseUI :( i love HTC's SenseUI)
samsung hardware = top notch
google-branded = will actually get updates

the negatives:
huge screen means huge power drain
from what i understand it wont have an SD slot
4G is also a power drain.

So, this could actually have worse battery life than my ThunderBolt, which is notoriously the worst in battery life of all major release android phones. also it appears to have fixed storage like an iphone, like 32 or 64GB. i want SD card slot. i already have a 32GB card...price hasnt been announced, but i paid $230 for my TB with a 1year contract. it would have been 180 w/ 2 year. i could sell my TB for at least $150 and have a new phone for probably under $100 net.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Re: New phone?

Postby Darkfoxx » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:29 am

I kind of want a new phone also, but only because mine is slowly getting shittier.
Gaming:

Workstation:

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:40 am

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:16 pm

is that what apple sued over? their use of SD cards?

this is the first android ive seen without an SD slot.

battery is up in the air ATM. my phone was the first LTE phone released in the world. it was delayed at least 3 times b/c of battery issues relating to the power use of the new dual LTE/3G chipset. it was the first LTE chipset, AND the first dual LTE/3G in production. This also made it the first verizon phone to allow simultaneous data + calling. All of these factors, plus a smallish battery and HTC's SenseUI notoriously sapping batteries, and then on top of the HUGE screen (4.3") combined in the perfect storm of shitty battery lifelessness.

revised LTE radios supposedly have better battery life now, this phone isnt made by HTC and it wont have SenseUI. It is a dual-core and a much bigger screen than the TB so while some parts should have bettery life, others counter it. We wont know until we see it in the wild, but i'd guess at best it's battery wont last much longer than mine.

i really just want android 4.0 on a beautiful samsung 4.65" 16:9 720p screen. samsung makes the best displays, period. they make retina look like an etch-a-sketch. android 4 supports hardware acceleration so this thing should fucking FLY.

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Fist of the eskimo
Canadian Ambassador

Postby Fist of the eskimo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:21 am

so what's wrong with your old phone that you need a new one?

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:51 am

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 am

4G tested by an Albuquerque Speedtest.net server on a new Galaxy Nexus. Not sure where the user was located physically- you can test to any speedtest,net server from anywhere and his ping was very high so he was probably pretty far- and these speeds are not typical, but still crazy. Normal VZW 4G speeds are generally ~15+ mbps. Phila area is lower, i get 6-10 on my TB. 20-30mbps down is common, though. Can't wait to get this phone. That screencap isnt even full size. the screen is 1280x720...MASSIVE.

the GN has capacitive buttons that are part of the OS - no more hardware-dedicated keys...not sure how i feel about that but users are loving it. they are hideable or something so you get the full screen and then tap or drag somewhere or something to bring up the home keys.

It gets better battery life than my (also 4G) Thunderbolt while having a faster, dual-core CPU, better GPU, and brighter, larger screen. It's not all positive, however, as almost everyone claims the speaker sucks versus other phones and you need to install an app that unlocks full volume. Also the vibration isnt as good as other phones. whatever. If volume is fixed with an app than it's obviously a software bug or restriction, and that's good.

android 4.0 has been getting unanimously awesome reviews. Long-time android owners are claiming that Ice Cream Sandwich is exactly what we've been waiting android to become. It's mature, sleek, intuitive, and better than 2.x in every way.

I'm up for a new phone Jan 12 and you can bet i'll be getting one on that day. 4.65" screen..... mmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty

Return to “The Pawn Shop”