Harnessssssssssss

Talk about buying cars, fixing them, and everything in between.
Jif
Jimmy Jams

Re: Harnessssssssssss

Postby Jif » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:34 am

Harness wrote:
Darkfoxx wrote:
Jif wrote:i have access to an air compressor that's like 100 gallons or something huge that could probably blow snot out yer butt if you shot it up your nose.

LOL, sounds like a challenge!

Jif wrote:also, is synthetic oil worth it? i know it's good, but is it 2-3x the price better? also i know they cant be mixed so are there any special steps i should take if i made the swap? whats the best brand? mobile 1?

Yes, it's worth it. If you were using regular oil, just drain it completely. Please note that you can't go back to regular oil after you go synthetic. Kinda like once you go black...

And yes, get Mobile 1. Make sure you get the right oil weight for your engine.

Synthetic motor oil does everything it says and more and Mobile 1 is the best. It is well worth the money your going to spend on it. Also, it is false that you can't change to synthetic or switch back to conventional or anything like that. I have tested this the only way I know of. I intentionally mixed conventional oil with Mobile 1 on a customers car, without their knowledge, for a period of 1 year or, in their case, 3 oil changes. This may sound harsh and rather unethical but if you really sit back and think about it from a scientific standpoint, it's really the only way to test it without a lab. The engine ran fine and never developed any oil leaks that would be considered by an expert as unusual. Ignore any old wives tales about mixing synthetic with conventional. As long as your using the correct weight oil your fine.

As a side note, I went to a seminar held by Mobile 1. During it they said that you can mix Mobile 1 with any old garbage you can find and you b aight. Don't forget to replace your oil filter!

As for the air filter, they make a kit that you use to clean and oil your "performance" air filter. The kit comes with a cleaner and an oil and as long as you follow the directions properly, you won't fuck anything up that bad. You can blow it out with air if you want, that isn't going to hurt, but if you want the full affect of that 1/2 horsepower that those air filters give, then you need to go out and buy the kit.

After you clean and oil your "performance" air filter yourself, post up here why your car has an extended crank and intermittently runs rough and I'll be more then happy to help. :lol:

.... Jif, it's really about time you take your car in for a good once over. If it's been 2 years since even your oil has been changed and you live in a state where the inspection process is an utter joke, then it's time you get a good idea of everything that's going on with your hoopty. Take it to one of these places that do oil changes, tire rotations and general check overs and wait for it. When the wheels are off ask of you can go out there yourself and inspect the car. You will never regret having a good knowledge of exactly where you are with you vehicle....... OR BETTER YET, bring your big fat ass up here to Doylestown on a saturday and let me do all that shit for ya. It's really not that far if you think about it and theres beer after that most likely I won't let you pay for.

sweet advice. i (well my dad) replaced the belt yesterday. havent heard the noise yet but it was intermittent. should know today or tomorrow.

i got some mobile 1 w/ mobile 1 filter yesterday as well. 5+ jug for $22, extra quart for $8, and filter for $8 w/ employee discount. belt was $22.
gonna change my oil saturday.

my "performance" filter was a CAI kit. the stock v6 cai is a joke. just sits on top of the hot engine. the kit pulls cooler air from the fender and had much bigger filter + pipes. even if it doesnt increase HP it makes the exhaust sound MUCH better. cant wait to get a new rear bumper so i can install dual exhaust. thatll make the CAI kit worth it even more.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:12 pm

changed my oil today. it didnt look that bad but w/e. got some mobile 1 in there now. mobile 1 filter, too.

didnt do my air filter b/c i was in a rush to get to the phillies game. maybe ill do it tomorrow or next weekend. i looked at it in the fender from under the car and it didnt look terrible, but id like to keep the routine shit on the same schedule.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Since this is the generic "Ask da Bumbs" for help thread...

Was replacing my headlights and saw this on the front right wheel thingy...whatever it is. Looks like the rubber is just coming off but I just wanted to make sure it isn't serious.

frontright.jpg
frontright.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 5437 times
Gaming:
Workstation:

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:26 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:Since this is the generic "Ask da Bumbs" for help thread...

Was replacing my headlights and saw this on the front right wheel thingy...whatever it is. Looks like the rubber is just coming off but I just wanted to make sure it isn't serious.

frontright.jpg

Front sway bar link, connects the left side of the suspension with the right side making it make safer to go around turns at higher speeds like using on and off ramps for the highway. When they start to fail you will get popping and banging noises going over bumps, even slight ones.

Not a safety item unless completely broken and small leaks from the rubber boots are expected over time. When you replace them it won't be a huge bill either.
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Fist of the eskimo
Canadian Ambassador

Postby Fist of the eskimo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:53 pm

K bumble

I went back to Vancouver to see my family this weekend and, ran out of power steering fluid on my drive home. I drove it slow <30mph for about 5 or 6 miles to a gas station and then filled up and everything seemed good. There was a grinding sound when it first came up and everytime I tried to steer hard, hence why I drove slow and made gradual turns to the gas station.

Just wondering if there's anything I did to fuck it up, I'm taking it in for a oil change, tire rotation this coming weekend and I'll get them to have a look at the system and the pump, just wondering if I'm in for a scare or if it's all good. I drove for about 8 hours straight with no problems after that, checking the levels every time I filled up.

98 Toyota Tacoma
V6
Xtra Cab
255,000kms (160,000miles)

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Fist of the eskimo wrote:K bumble

I went back to Vancouver to see my family this weekend and, ran out of power steering fluid on my drive home. I drove it slow <30mph for about 5 or 6 miles to a gas station and then filled up and everything seemed good. There was a grinding sound when it first came up and everytime I tried to steer hard, hence why I drove slow and made gradual turns to the gas station.

Just wondering if there's anything I did to fuck it up, I'm taking it in for a oil change, tire rotation this coming weekend and I'll get them to have a look at the system and the pump, just wondering if I'm in for a scare or if it's all good. I drove for about 8 hours straight with no problems after that, checking the levels every time I filled up.

98 Toyota Tacoma
V6
Xtra Cab
255,000kms (160,000miles)

You didn't do anything to fuck up your car. You simply leaked out enough of your power steering fluid for it to start causing a ruckus. Running your car completely out of power steering fluid could damage your pump but if you added fluid and all is well then I wouldn't worry about it. You could race over to the repair shop to have it checked out or you can just wait and see how long it takes for the fluid to run low again.

When you do have it fixed make sure and fix only the leak. Your shop might want to try and sell you a pump telling you it was damaged when you ran out of fluid, but you won't need it. Just fix the leak and u b aight.

Also, running out of power steering fluid doesn't have to make you change anything about the way you drive. Your not going to damage anything more by driving as fast as you usually do. It's just hard to turn the steering wheel, thats all.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Harness wrote:for it to start causing a ruckus.

:lol:
Gaming:
Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:
Harness wrote:for it to start causing a ruckus.

:lol:

OK i'm gonna bring the muthafuckin ruckus here:
i have a bad power steering pump. hopefully i can get it fixed this weekend. it's really getting loud and annoying adding fluid hasnt helped recently like it did before.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Jif wrote:OK i'm gonna bring the muthafuckin ruckus here:
i have a bad power steering pump. hopefully i can get it fixed this weekend. it's really getting loud and annoying adding fluid hasnt helped recently like it did before.

Get the bumbs to do it.
Gaming:
Workstation:

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Darkfoxx wrote:

Get the bumbs to do it.

^^^^ I found them for like $35. That sound about right? When are you available?

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Jif wrote:
Darkfoxx wrote:

Get the bumbs to do it.

^^^^ I found them for like $35. That sound about right? When are you available?

Whats your year, make and model again?

If we do this were gonna have to make sure you have the right part before you come up here for the work. Get what you think is the right pump and compare it with whats on your vehicle and we'll work out a time.

Also, are you sure the pump is bad? If you've been adding fluid then it could be something else.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:39 pm

2003 mustang v6.
my dad looked at it and said the pump probably broke and was leaking oil or grease or something from the motor into the reservoir. it's not leaking quickly, only about 3/4 qt over 3 months plus whatever i might put in it tomorrow morning. the liquid inside the tank looks like coffee.

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Jif wrote:2003 mustang v6.
my dad looked at it and said the pump probably broke and was leaking oil or grease or something from the motor into the reservoir. it's not leaking quickly, only about 3/4 qt over 3 months plus whatever i might put in it tomorrow morning. the liquid inside the tank looks like coffee.

It's pretty common for the P/S fluid to be dirty looking. It could be the pump that is leaking but to be honest, out of all the parts in your P/S system, I see pump's leak the least. That doesn't mean it's not leaking, Ford's are the worst for pump faliure.

Try and check all the hoses coming from and going to the pump and resivor. I know this sounds stupid but look for wet fluid, not build of crud and general dampness. The part I see small leaks from the most is the rack and pinion. They are not as easy to check. You have to get underneath and poke a small hole the rubber boot on the side nearest the the unit and see if anything drips out.

http://www.rackandpinion.org/illustrations.html

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Fist of the eskimo
Canadian Ambassador

Postby Fist of the eskimo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:27 pm

This showed up on Reddit.

Return to “The Garage”