Building a shed, question

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Yeah don't toenail the rafters. Also, make sure you get the special screws for those metal ties.

Something like this:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:42 am

I got the ceiling joists in last night after work. My new longer ridgepole and side fascia wood gets delivered today. Going to cut the rafters tonight, probably take a day off, then do the ridgepole/rafters/plywood roofing this weekend.

What do you think man, gable ends then rafters? Those plans, as I'm sure you saw, are vague as fuck. Really not sure what order I should do it in.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Well the thing with the gable end...is that I saw no notch at the top to hold the ridge pole, because that's usually how it's done on a house.

See my crude MSPaint drawing:
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Ok, so, I have been waiting to respond to this because my situation is what it is, so now I have to figure out a way around it.

First off, here are the pics of where it's at now.

So the issue is, those plans are shit. Basically he says one thing, measurements say another. The gable ends are supposed to be smaller than the triangle the rafters, ridge pole, and ceiling joist make. I even ended up making mine a little smaller, because none of the shit would fit together right on the gable ends, and they are still way too tall. I ended up having to notch the gable ends to accomidate the ridge pole to be flush with the top of the gable end. The way these plans are designed though, is that the gable end should be smaller, and lookout rafters should attach to the rafter and then rest on the tops of the gable end slopes, to then extend out past the gable end, and thus creating the overhang. The reality is now that is fine at the bottom and maybe halfway up, but at the top the rafter and gable end angled parts are on the same plane. Does that make sense? My thoughts are to just do the lookout rafters where I can, and then just have the ridge pole be the only support for the overhang fascia. I will try and take some pictures tomorrow, because none of this will likely make sense.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:04 pm

I'd face nail some 2x6's like this:

Make them in line with the other rafters (not the gable end). Then work out from there. Get the lookouts going on the face nailed 2x6's...you might even want to bracket these on with some cheap . Then just attach the end rafters to the ridge pole and the lookouts.

I think this is what you were asking about, if I'm wrong post more pics and we'll go from there.
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:01 pm

Man, this takes forever when you're doing it by yourself. Everything takes 4x as long. It doesn't look like I did much while off today, but I got the fascias on and created the overhang. Got a few pieces of the roofing plywood on. Getting those 16 foot boards for the side fascias on by myself required some creativity.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:07 pm

Nice work.
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:04 am

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Hey, how much of a gap should I leave with the plywood at the peak? I was reading a roofing guide and saw a huge opening, like 4-6 inches. I know the ridge cap will ventilate and keep water from coming in, so how big of a gap do I need realistically? The weird thing about the pic is there is no ridge pole. I have to have at least a 2" gap I guess, to have any gap at all since 1.5" of that is eaten up by the ridge pole.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Leave about an 1" to 1 3/4" on both sides between the ridge pole and the plywood. Obviously go all the way up to the ridge pole on the overhangs. So, you might want to just go all the way up on the whole roof (to the edge of the rafters) then just snap a chalk line and cut out the slot on both sides, stopping before the overhangs.

On the plans they have you using roof vents, not a ridge vent. The ridge vent is easier, though.

Some installation info from Owens Corning:
http://roofing.owenscorning.com/docs/in ... idroll.pdf
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:01 pm

bluetenken
Got Fofum

Postby bluetenken » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:39 pm

I wanna be a carpenter when i grow up

TexRob