Building a shed, question

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:20 pm

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:35 pm

Finished the plywood on one side. Getting close now. Should be able to do shingles this weekend and perhaps doors and windows, then siding over the next week or weekend.

I know I need felt down on the plywood on the roof, and Tyvek on the walls. Should I Tyvek the fascia pieces also? Also, one page I read said to put flashing on the edges of the roof. I know you need flashing on inside corners and crap, but on the edges?

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:58 pm

Roofing felt on the roof, Tyvek on the exterior walls only, and drip edge (which is basically fancy flashing) on the roof edges.

http://www.hometips.com/how-it-works/roof-flashing.html
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 am

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 am

Nevermind, found real drip edges at Lowes.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:00 pm

I love that PDF you linked to the Owens Corning ridge vent/ridge cap, but searching lowes and HD websites I only see roof cap shingles and ridge vents that are separate. I like the idea of one piece vent and shingles all in one. I am going to try and get off early today so I can go get this stuff and work on it today some, and finish tomorrow.

My list so far is:

felt/underlayment

shingles, 3 bundles should cover 270 sq ft from what I gather

Peel and stick shingle starter strip (I like this because it's a continuous strip, so no chance of water getting through, and I don't have to waste shingles.

8 x 10' aluminum drip edge

ridge cap/vent all in one piece

caulking (special kind?)

tin snips

utility knife/shingle cutter blade

h-clips (for the remaining plywood, I have used more than the plans called for, just to be cautious

Anything you see that I am missing?

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:03 pm

You don't really need caulking, unless you have exposed nails....say on the ridge vent or one of the ridge shingles. It's a special tar-based caulk for roofing.
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:40 pm

Everything gets nailed down, but you might have exposed nails at one of the ends. It really depends on the ridge vent system.
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Oh boy! A shed!

:lol:

Sounds like fun, but I've been pretty busy myself. Been studying for my A+ cert...I passed the first part with a 91%. I'll probably be taking the second part in the next day or two. I'm also waiting for a call this week about a temp job in VA (the one I showed you), so I might be moving down there soon....hopefully, fingers crossed.

Just keep truckin'!
Gaming:

Workstation:

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:34 pm

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:46 pm

Man oh man, I am stressed out now. I got the last plywood on the roof after work, I even left work early but spent almost 2 hours at Home Depot. Discussing how I'm totally fucked. I learned that using 2x6s for fascia is a horrible idea, and if I was going to do it, I needed to have primed them, and then used this aluminum stuff to cover it. You need some metal bending machine to do it though. So, basically I have plywood and all my rafters attached to wood that IS going to rot. The person at HD suggested removing it all and using this composite stuff, not happening at this point. Other options were to use KILZ to prime it, then paint it white. I was told this would last about 5 years before it would be rotted. Yay. Then my new neighbor said he used to do roofing, and they would use white roofing paint, that dries in a rubber like consistency on wood fascia, and it worked like a champ. Ever heard of doing this? Basically I need to do something tomorrow, but even then I don't think I can paint that goop on the fascia, put the drip edges down, put the felt down, and then somehow temporarily cover the ridge opening all in 3 hours tomorrow when I get home from work. I am fucked basically. I guess at this point my best option is to try and buy a massive tarp or something. Thoughts? I can handle the setbacks of this fascia nonsense, but I will lose it if the roof gets all warped because it gets rained on.

Save me Foxx, what the hell should I do? Sorry for all the questions, I should be paying you :?

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:19 pm

I've never heard of anyone using composite on fascia....or even painting it with special roofing paint, for that matter.

1st rule of thumb: people working at HD don't know very much. Just ask Eskie.

The actual framing of the roof, fascia, etc are done with regular untreated wood. However, the trim used to cover this framing is usually cedar.

If the roof is built properly (i.e. the shingle system and underlayment), your fascia won't get saturated. Honestly, you could leave untreated pine as your fascia as long as it's primed and sealed with exterior paint. It might not look desirable, but it works just fine. I don't know if your plans called for trim or not. The main goal is to drip edge your roof properly and possibly install gutters, although this isn't totally necessary.

The typical material is 1x cedar for all trim, with 1/2" ply for the soffits.

Your order of installation would be: finish roof plywood, install fascia trim and prime&paint it...could even do this before attaching it, then lay down your drip edge.

Check this out:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/roof ... ep/dry.htm

That's also a really good roofing guide for you, as well as how to install the ridge vent.

After the drip edge is down continue with your roofing felt, etc etc...

Make sure your first row of shingles/starter strip extends about 1/2" past the drip edge, for proper drainage,

Drip edge looks like this:
http://doitbest.com/Roof+edge+and+drip+ ... 105171.dib

Gaming:

Workstation:

Return to “General Discussion”