neat new gadget

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
dun dun dun... chips
Papes
neat new gadget

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:43 pm

for anyone what doesnt think apples products are worth buggerall:

if anyone has been watching the "islate" etc, apples tablet, they finally released it.
an updating blog about it:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live ... refresh=30
(site might be slow... live updating and lots of hits...)

looks really intuitive and well done. finally: a small computer that does what small computers are supposed to do.

TexRob
Got Allfum

Postby TexRob » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:43 pm

The most impressive thing is $499. Wish I hadn't bought m HP Mini last year.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Gaming:

Workstation:

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:16 pm

LOL :lol:
apple definitely shouldve gone with the iSlate.

but seriously.

Postulio
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Postulio » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:43 pm

I'm sorry, but this is even worse than the fucking Macbook air. This crap ass POS is the same exact thing as a fucking Iphone except you CANT fit it in your pocket. If the original rumors were true, in saying that it would a fully functional Mac as a touch tablet, I would actually be inspired to get one! Now? Well its a giant waste of time because it doesnt do anything more than its smaller counterpart.

I want a tablet computer not a fucking Iphone on steriods!

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:52 pm

it is a tablet mac, but its not what most people correlate with a tablet. its not mac os x stuck onto a handheld touch screen and that was never the point. this is exactly what you say: its a huge ipod touch, and thats exactly what it was meant to be. its sole purpose is this: to be a larger screened portable media device. watching movies, listening to music, reading books and other material. you arent supposed to do shit like photoshop. thats why there are powerful desktop computers with touchscreens. or tablets that plug in. there is no way apple would ever make a tablet thats a full os with a touchscreen. ever. and its definitely not what they were trying to do here.

for example: i dont have a laptop. i have two desktop machines, both of which are networked. i also dont have an ipod or any other portable music player. nor do i have a portable dvd player. why would someone like me get it? because i take a backpack/sidebag wherever i go (somewhere to put it) and its main purpose fills every gap that i need it to: portable media.

however, its not out yet, so whether it would do all that as well as i would like remains to be seen. the point being: if you want a tablet mac, buy a modbook. if you want something useful, however...

Postulio
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Postulio » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Lets state three facts here:

1. This Ipad is just as portable as a netbook. On a netbook though, I can do much more and the netbook is half the price.

2. This is exactly an Iphone. You have no expanded drive space, you have to pay the $30 monthly for internet. The only differences are you cant make phone calls and it has a bigger screen so you cant fit it in your pocket. It also apparently gets youtube in hi def......... at most maybe 720P which is nothing.

3. Macintosh has once again jumped into a market and has failed to bring anything new to the picture. All of its competitors are extremely similar devices at half the cost.

Macintosh's biggest profit came from the ipod. They got into the MP3 player market early and claimed it. Apple owned MP3 players. Then Apple came out with the Macbook Air (ABSOULTE DISASTER) as a response to the growing netbook market. It failed, because it brought nothing new! Just like the Ipad. It does everything else its competitors do except its a giant iphone. Where as if Macintosh did come out with a tablet computer, theres adding something new to the netbook market. I would even say they could steal consumers from their competition if it was an actual touchpad netbook. Where as what they came out with was another failure.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:26 pm

thats a really, really expensive ipod. they never showed it multi-tasking so it's probably just running the iphone OS or similar.

does it have an SD slot? they didnt release any specifics. it's really an itouch with a giant screen. if there's an SD slot why did they even bother making models with larger capacities? do iphones/itouches have sd slots?

i'd have no use for one of those at all. i have an ipod for music and a $250 netbook. my netbook gets similar battery life and my ipod fits in my pocket and car. also, i cant stand touch screen qwerty's and a lot of people feel the same.

this is definitely a gamble product. i cant imagine it being more than a niche, especially at the price. for $600 base you can buy a full-feature windows laptop with c2d, 3-4GB ram, and 15" screen if you wanted to go that route, or 2 10" netbooks with 3G. neither is touch screen, but touch screen on a PC has always been a gimmick. there's not one time ive ever used a computer and wished i could control the input via touching the display. that goes for PC tablets as well, which i have used at work.

seems like they were building a product to create a new segment, not a product to meet an existing segment for which they had no product. i dont think there is a market for this at all.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Gaming:

Workstation:

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:36 pm

hm, this is beginning to look alot like other typical arguments i get into here. nobody really sees eye-to-eye with me. so ill be short.

first off, netbooks are practically useless. (no offense to anyone that has one, this is my opinion based on what i use computers for) portable, yes, but bloody useless. to small a screen and keyboard with no computational power. only good for surfing the web when you need to.

secondly, if you were to make a touchscreen netbook, there would still be the same problem: a native os is to big to fit on that small a screen.

thirdly, i almost completely agree with jif. this isnt something you get to substitute a netbook. its something that you can just pick up and use, to be the ultimate of convenient. would you get it if you already have an ipod and netbook? probably not. unless you find it would be useful. you cant compare this to either tablets, which technically its not, or netbooks, which are small laptops. this is supposed to do something different than both.

i would argue, however, that people are going to buy this, even if its just the apple morons being retarded because its another one of those apple products they JUST HAVE TO HAVE. i mean... they have been praising it and its not even out yet. stupid fuckers. i think its neat, but...

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Gaming:

Workstation:

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Postulio
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Postulio » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:53 pm

I would buy all three of those devices over the Ipad. Why? Because all of those devices do one thing, they all confirm that the Ipad is nothing but an overgrown Iphone. Seriously, if Apple wanted to add something new to the market going either one of those three directions is where they should of looked. I mean fucking christ, the Ipad has a bigger screen yet the quality of it as just as good as my Zune HD which can fit in my pocket.

I don't hate Apple. If Apple came out with a tablet mac I would jump on that, but they didn't. They made an overgrown Iphone. So im more more frustrated at Macintosh than hate them. They have so much potential but lack the direction.

Centari
Is Kind Of A Big Deal

Postby Centari » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:46 pm

Nothing against Apple, because I am a fan of their iPods, my only beef is with their oversimplified OS for computers.

However, I do have to say, that that is nothing more than a giant iTouch.

Apple needs to get over the touch screen gadgets and move on to something else.

Return to “General Discussion”