Samsung SmartTV

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
Fist of the eskimo
Canadian Ambassador
Samsung SmartTV

Postby Fist of the eskimo » Thu May 02, 2013 11:00 pm

Anyone know anything about these tvs? I am thinking of getting one and was wondering if you guys knew anything about them. Something like this http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-v ... 0_20130410

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Re: Samsung SmartTV

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri May 03, 2013 11:32 am

Not worth it, imo. It's nice I guess if you don't want a separate HTPC though...

Do you want it for Netflix or what?
Gaming:

Workstation:

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 pm

if you are going to spend that much money, depending on the size of your room, buy a large monitor. if you are only going to be sitting 6 feet away from the screen, that tv will just be too large. the pixels will be the size of your eyeballs.
dont get me wrong, of all the tvs out there right now, with this bullshit smart tv craze, samsung is the best of the bunch, but if i remember right, they are using lg panels, so there isnt going to be any quality difference between lg or samsung, its just hardware and software features at that point. and a pricetag.
go for picture quality, which is largely two things: depth of blacks and ppi. you want the smallest screen you can get, while still being 1080p, for the ppi. if you get a 30 inch monitor, it will be 1440p, which is still a pretty good ppi. depth of black is all about the quality of the panel you buy.
if you go with a tv, its a crapshoot. tvs are tvs, might as well go in, find something you like the color of, buy it, and hope that the one you get will be the same. its essentially just the cheapest lg panel you can find at that point. the only difference between tvs these days is the physical/software bells and whistles.
my suggestion: if you arent going to be sitting very far away from it, get an ips monitor. they are essentially pictured true to life, they are the same panels that photo editors use for true color matching. beautiful panels, ridiculous color depth, great blacks. however, they are monitors, there arent any reasonably priced ips tvs. dell makes great monitors, they use lgs panels as well, but have much better features and calibration software. samsung are pretty solid, but their better known for tn panels. hp makes a decent one for the price.
this is their monitor with all the tv connections, get it soon, i dont think they will be selling this much longer: (27 inch)
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=224-8284

this one is an ips-e panel, so not nearly as much color depth or gamut, but still a good panel. solid blacks. (30 inch)
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=225-4429

the newer version of the aforementioned 27 inch. sacrifices component and composite, adds a dp connection and usb 3
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=225-4148

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed May 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Samsung makes some of the best TVs, especially for the price. SmartTVs are great for those that dont have Xbox/PS3/etc or a computer nearby they can plug into it for netflix or other things. My parents have a 55" LG and it's a piece of art. It's a great set that looks awesome even when it's off. It's got netflix and other apps built in which is great b/c the Wii they used for netflix doesnt do HD.

IMO if you have a console or a computer in the room and can run an HDMI cable to the TV then u dont need "Smart". However apps and shit are now basically part of all the high end models.

a few things to know about TVs in general:
Most of the "TruMotion", "Cineflix", or other similarly-sounding marketing terms are bullshit. these are technologies designed to make TV and movies look better. i cant stand them. IMO they make everything look like a soap opera. Also, DNIE and most of the other terms bantered about on the boxes and commercials are also bogus. I turn everything off, and especially if everything im viewing is HD (or coming from an HD source). Some of them upscale SD sources to make them look better, which does absolutely nothing but distort the picture if left on for HD.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 pm

you probably dont need an 8-series model. the 5- and 6- series' usually have great picture quality and good amount of options for much cheaper. However the 7 and 8 (i dont even remember an 8-series before) often look better (like a piece of art!)

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed May 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Wed May 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Gaming:

Workstation:

Fist of the eskimo
Canadian Ambassador

Postby Fist of the eskimo » Wed May 08, 2013 8:06 pm

To be completely honest I just wanted to watch youtube and netflix on my TV and found that my PS3 has youtube on it, I knew about the netflix. There was really no other reason I wanted one.

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Thu May 09, 2013 5:04 pm

I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Return to “General Discussion”